ADAC Nurburgring 24hr

Hello to all who read this category.

Let's say I have a 'friend' with a race prepared GT40 (Cams Group 2B in Australia) looking to participate in some European endurance racing next year.

Anyone have any (constructive) advice?

Great links, have been on Ben's site for years!

I was more looking for past experiences in endurance racing. The good, the bad and the ugly. GT40 or not, endurance racing is a huge challenge.

The technical regs for the Nurburgring 24hr suggest a vehicle's eligability comes down to the organisers. Also, a minimum vehicle height of 1100mm. The same regs are listed for the Dubai 24hr.

Perhaps a roof vent or 84mm high verticle fin would be required!

FIA's Appendix J - Regs for Sportscars suggests all would be fine, but ultimately it comes down to the interpretation of the event's regulations, and the descretion of the committee.

Apparently the Valencia 24hr has been cancelled this year - not sure for 2010, and the Brit-Car 24hr will be a 6hr for 2009, and back to 24hr for 2010. I suspect the minimum 1100mm rule for the UK race too.

Logistically, a nightmare from Australia, but I'm talking with guys who've done this before. Not something to be considered lightly, so any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• NBR_mitNamen08_01.jpg
    NBR_mitNamen08_01.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 208
Troy..if u will do that race with a gt40 u will enter the legend.
Thats simply the most impressive and imho nicest track in the world.

Please do all u can to be there with the 40, it is a dream also just think about it.

The track can be humiliating..I still remember the interview done to Nicola Larini in the 90s testing the prototype of Alfa Romeo 155 v6 Ti DTM car(winning the following season with such car..),when he was reporting he had no chance versus a guy knowing the track staying forward with an old Diesel Golf gtd road car..:D

The ring is the ring...nothing will be as before.

Last edited:
We're certainly doing everything we can. The regulations suggest a minimum vehicle height of 1100mm. Maybe an 84mm high rally style roof vent, or vertical fin, or Gurney bubble would be ok?

Also, for the Nurburgring 24hr, a vehicle's eligability are determined by the organizers - the regs say limited production vehicles - such as the Ferrari Marranello - would not be classified.

Under FIA Appendix J, the GT40 fits squarely under the "Sportscar" category, however each race's own regulations must be met.

As for other races, the Sepang 24hr has the same regs, The Brit-Car could be on option for 2010 (after it being a 6hr for 2009), and the Valencia 24hr has been cancelled with no word on the event's future. The only other one for consideration is Dubai 24hr, however I'm waiting for feedback from the organizers on the car. I have very little info on the Spa 1000km for 2010.

By the way, here is a great video of Nick Heidfeld at the 'Ring in a reasonably current F1 car. Both F1 and Nordschleife tracks in one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceX5Wk-zSY

Back