Salzburg 917 K

Hi
took a day of today and visited the new porsche museum.
Here is my favorite car .

More pictures of the other cars will follow

TOM

PICT3251.jpg

PICT3252.jpg

PICT3253.jpg

PICT3254.jpg

PICT3255.jpg

PICT3256.jpg

PICT3257.jpg

PICT3258.jpg

PICT3259.jpg

PICT3260.jpg

PICT3261.jpg

PICT3262.jpg

PICT3263.jpg

PICT3265.jpg

PICT3266.jpg

PICT3267.jpg

PICT3268.jpg

PICT3269.jpg

PICT3270.jpg

PICT3271.jpg

PICT3273.jpg

PICT3276.jpg

PICT3278.jpg

PICT3279.jpg

PICT3280.jpg

PICT3281.jpg

PICT3283.jpg

PICT3285.jpg

PICT3286.jpg

PICT3287.jpg

PICT3288.jpg

PICT3289.jpg

PICT3290.jpg

PICT3291.jpg

PICT3292.jpg

PICT3295.jpg

PICT3471.jpg

too bad you couldn't get any pictures of it....

Thanks fo rthe details shots - love em.

I was just watching CANAM Speed Odyssey last night and watched the 917 footage - love that 917.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
GREAT JOB Tom!!!!

You have captured shots of detail that I've never seen anywhere before!

These will be invaluable for those that are trying to create faithful replicas...

wonderful detail shots! If I were there I'd be drooling all over myself rather than figuring out what shot to take next...

Was this your first time at the museum?

Thanks for the great pictures. I saw and heard that car on the track at the Rennsport Reunion at Lime Rock a few years back. As I recall, it was then owned by a Dr. Julio Palmaz who I heard was instumental in developing the heart stent. He had 2 or three other significant Porsches as well. this car looks even better now

Thanks again!

I have analyzed the anatomy of 917's like no other and something is weird here. this car at the museum is NOT the same as the car I saw at the rennsport reunion in 07 which supposedly was brought over from the factory along with 3 other 917s for the weekend. I took detailed photos of that car and have compared with this car. there are several detail variations, unless of course the factory has restored the car in the last year and a half. Either way this is not 917-023 lemans winner the factory likes to claim. Dr. Julio Palmaz owns the real 023 and he wont sell it to the factory. This car is probably the 917-001 test car converted to the Zuffenhausen "taxi" thats painted to look like the 70 lemans winner. Its too bad they they never kept any of the original 25 long tails as presented during the FIA inspection in 1969

Attachments

• Porsche-917_1.jpg
    Porsche-917_1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 15LM692.jpg
    15LM692.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 333
Sorry GB
Can´t help you any further.

I´m not the chassis number freak, so i didn´t check for it.
To be honest i don´t care which number they have, as long the cars are so hot as this one.
I will never own one of the originals so why bother.

TOM

I have analyzed the anatomy of 917's like no other and something is weird here. this car at the museum is NOT the same as the car I saw at the rennsport reunion in 07 which supposedly was brought over from the factory along with 3 other 917s for the weekend. I took detailed photos of that car and have compared with this car. there are several detail variations, unless of course the factory has restored the car in the last year and a half. Either way this is not 917-023 lemans winner the factory likes to claim. Dr. Julio Palmaz owns the real 023 and he wont sell it to the factory. This car is probably the 917-001 test car converted to the Zuffenhausen "taxi" thats painted to look like the 70 lemans winner. Its too bad they they never kept any of the original 25 long tails as presented during the FIA inspection in 1969

The chassis is 917-001 though it carries chassis number 917-009 (1st 917 race winner @ Osterriechring 1000kms 1969).

917historian

GB is correct.
The museum car isn´t the 1970 Le Mans winner, although the Porsche factory contributed a lot to this urban myth. The very museum car spent its years serving as a VIP Taxi on the Weissach test track under the capable hands of Hubert Mimler, by then "Werkstattmeister" of Weissach´s racing workshop.

On a sidenote, even as the factory admits, tracing back the history of many original 917 chassis is very difficult nowadays for a very simple reason: At the time between 1969 and 1971 Porsche only had five sets of customs documents with one Chassis Nr. in each set of documents for a fleet of about twenty 917´s coming to the factory for repairs, maintenance etc. So therefore, in order to avoid trouble at the borders, they simply changed the chassis Nr. plate on the cars leaving the workshop to keep the cars compliant with the customs documents accompanying them.

Best,
Marcus

GB is correct.
The museum car isn´t the 1970 Le Mans winner, although the Porsche factory contributed a lot to this urban myth. The very museum car spent its years serving as a VIP Taxi on the Weissach test track under the capable hands of Hubert Mimler, by then "Werkstattmeister" of Weissach´s racing workshop.

On a sidenote, even as the factory admits, tracing back the history of many original 917 chassis is very difficult nowadays for a very simple reason: At the time between 1969 and 1971 Porsche only had five sets of customs documents with one Chassis Nr. in each set of documents for a fleet of about twenty 917´s coming to the factory for repairs, maintenance etc. So therefore, in order to avoid trouble at the borders, they simply changed the chassis Nr. plate on the cars leaving the workshop to keep the cars compliant with the customs documents accompanying them.

Best,
Marcus

The chassis that was used as the Weissach Taxi was the ex Gulf JWA Chassis 917-015 (035), which is shown on the other thread.

917historian

Back