gt40p2112 help

hello from france,I want to buy a spf mk11 red, number p2112.if someone know this car,I try to find information about p2112.
thank for yours answers.

I really can't tell you much except that this is a very early car. I have #2117 and it was one of the earliest cars delivered. Given the current market, I would look for a car with a higher production number, as I am sure later cars have more manufacturing upgrades that were necessary as production increased. I remember stories of some of the earlier cars having fibreglass residue in the fuel tanks that had to be flushed out because of fuel clogging problems. This is one example, and I'm sure there are more.
Just my opinion.

Mike

Henry

The Shelby Registry states that P2112 was sold by Dynamic Motorsports in Ohio on 19 June 2006 to Whiteys Inc. of Mansfield Ohio.

I absolutely agree with Foowowee. I own P2133 and was plagued with many construction and design problems that were fixed in later production units. Unless you are getting a great deal on 2112, or are certain that all the factory service bulletins have been complied with, I'd avoid it.

Henry,
You may want to get in touch with Dennis Olthoff as he finished the first cars. This number was, I believe, in the first 15. Dennis can make any of the updates or advise you what to look at with the car. As you may know he ships 40s to Europe and the far east. (704) 647-9924 is his number here in NC. Also I had him go over my P2124.
Hope this helps
Grady Wilson

hello,thank at all the members for yours answers.I buy gt40 p2112,I like it ,it's a dream for me.excuse my poor english,you says it's one of the first cars produce,I contact dennis olthoff by mail for the history of the car I wait his answer .but why found all the factory service bulletin of the car?because it is new(102 miles).
henry

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Henry,

Congratulations!

As Grady has advised above check with Dennis Olthoff as he did many of the first cars and if he did yours he can advise you as to what was or was not done and what should be done if anything.

As others have said before these cars are all hand built so even a new one could have /need some tweaks.

I have P2125 (not one of the first cars but, close to them) and built up by Olthoff.

Dennis took care of most of the issues and I fixed a few things and did lots of upgrades (that I wanted to do)...see pics in the Superformance forum under heading P2125 for descriptions/upgrades.

My car is GREAT...reliable (now over 3,000 miles), never stuck on the road, runs cool, no fuel problems, tight door weatherstripping ect, ect.

So bottom line is not necessarily the car sequence but, more important who did the engine install and set up (was/ is the dealer knowledgable and competent) and if previously owned was the owner a hands on guy who improved, not worsened any problems/issues...

As with everything new or old you need to research the history and look it over in depth.

Ask questions...those of us with first hand experience will try to help.

Steve

steve,
thank very mutch for you answer.
dennis olthoff answered to me he did not build the car,and never worked on it and don't know if 2112 has upgrades.
I continue to make enquiries about the history of p2112,who install the engine(there are sold to whiteys inc ohio ).
Ithink use the car for more track than road,I race since 20 years in old car champion race in france.
congratulation for the forum p2125.
henry

Henry,

Have you contacted Dynamc Motorsports? If Dennis Olthoff didn't finish the car, then they should know who did. Looking at the Superformance section of this site you should see most of the modifications that the early cars need - see Lynn Miner's posts - I think between Lynn and Steve C's posts you can see most of the modifications that have been done. Contact Superformance as well and they should be able to help you out with what Service Bulletins you might need.

Regards,
Mike
P2120

Hi Guys, When do you know what number chassis does not need mod's?? I purchased P2202 about 4 months ago (used chassis), and still doing engine & Tranny setup... And I know that it came from Dynamc Motorsports...
Thanks,
Dave

I just spoke to Barry at Superformance, and he says that all the mod's that people are doing to their cars are their own preference and are not must to get done... the only thing that he claims was an issue was the wheel bearings. And that they will soon have a swaybar upgrade for the GT40. So they are constantly tying to improve things as they go along...

Perhaps Barry forgot the fuel filler issue and the fuel pump wiring on the early cars. Then there is the speedo calibration and cable fix.

I never heard about the wheel bearings...what was that issue and which cars were affected?

Seriously, take a look at the SPF stuff on the HOW TO DO and SUPERFORMANCE forums here and look at what has been documented. Sure, some of them may be considered optional, but there are a couple that probably aren't or shouldn't be.

Mike

Last edited:
Perhaps Barry forgot the fuel filler issue and the fuel pump wiring on the early cars. Then there is the speedo calibration and cable fix.

I never heard about the wheel bearings...what was that issue and which cars were affected?

Seriously, take a look at the SPF stuff on the HOW TO DO and SUPERFORMANCE forums here and look at what has been documented. Sure, some of them may be considered optional, but there are a couple that probably aren't or shouldn't be.

Mike

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I will for sure look through and see....

Dave

Dave,

Wheel bearing issue.

Please elaborate.

Tx, Steve

Hi Steve,
Barry from Superformance was mentioning that his biggest concern was the wheel bearings, and that they could get lose depending on how hard you drive. Basically mentioned that you should keep an eye on it and tighten them when they get lose...

Hi Steve,
Barry from Superformance was mentioning that his biggest concern was the wheel bearings, and that they could get lose depending on how hard you drive. Basically mentioned that you should keep an eye on it and tighten them when they get lose...

anything we can do to make it more of a permanent fix?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Dave,

Thanks for the response. This issue is known to me and in my opinion is more a PM (preventative maintenance) vs a defect. A good dealer/installer should advise the customer of this type of need and once again a reason to purchase from one with real knowledge about the product.

In my case (P2125) I had Olthoff run it around for it's first few 000 miles to work out the kinks and as part of the "debug" they adjusted/tightened the bearings before delivery.

Now with close to 3,000 miles I have checked both the fronts and rears at 1,500 and again at 2,500 miles and found them not needing further tightening but, I'm not racing the car (mainly highway miles).

I'm convinced that owners of cars like these should either be hands on guys or have a mechanic on call to periodically check basically every nut and bolt. In my case I have done a lot of personal functional and cosmetic upgrades but, when I got the car I tore it apart and traced every wire, hydraulic, fuel and cooling line to insure that there wasn't a problem as well as to know every inch (and even though my dealer did a great job I found things that I improved on)...one example was a dry lower ball joint that started growling at 1,000 miles..to fix I installed zerc fittings as can be seen in the P2125 thread...another area was installing an original CAV ammeter (I perfer an ammeter vs a voltmeter) from the mid 60's that is rated 60A and with stud terminals vs push on male blades, cleaned up wiring issues, improved AC performance ect, ect...

So it depends on what one wants but, if working on/knowing the cars systems and puttering isn't fun then any car like this will be a pain, not a pleasure.

Steve

Steve, like yourself I am not looking to track the car often. So I am not too worried about the wheel bearings. I will have my mechanic check it about every 3000 miles just to be on the safe side. I wish I was as knowledgeable as you to be able to go through the whole car. That is very impressive. I am learning allot through this forum, and appreciate everyones inputs and advise. I just am excited to get the car DONE... My mechanic works closely with Hilbank Superformance, and is experienced in the GT40. So I feel confident that he would know the upgrades that the car need, but I still do mention to him things I learn through the forum just in case...

Dave

Good thread...as I remember the wheel bearing issue as shown to me by Dennis O. was on the rear of the car. It had to do with initial setup/adjustment of the cars when new and not fully seated. I know when a car comes through his operation for the first, or to be service, these are checked to make sure they are fully seated. The same goes with the sway bar end correction. Now these problems were only the first batch of cars including mine as I understand. Once corrected they require only the checking you would normally do before you travel to a track event.
As I tell people who admire the car, or ask about the car, (ie. try to get away from a gas station in 15 minutes), I try to explain it is not like your normal Cobra. Throw in a RHD car, the fluid, electrical, and engine/trans axle placement. While the mechanics on the car look easy to get to, they are often not. I'm just happy to be able to put the car up on a lift to help find a nut that I just dropped.
Most of the work done on the Pxxxx cars and other brands seem to be to personalized the car. From simple stripes, fire systems, the addition of canards, thicker rear windows, rear facing cameras, waterproofing/soundproofing, seat-belt replacement, where to place your radar detector, and so on.
I think we like to tinker or better understand the systems and improved on performance. It is our nature. Like a group of owners at VIR were told years ago, "..the cars you have now (Cobras) have more horsepower, better suspension and braking than the cars raced at Le Mans back it the '60s. So be carefull of the 'bite'."
All you fellows look at your cars and scrutinize how it look, feels, sounds, and behaves...if anything is different before we get well underway.
Me? I am still learning, still asking questions.
You all (ya'll) have a great day.
Grady

Back