NOS?

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
This mite be a completely silly question - but has anyone used NOS on their GT40 - or would that be suicidal?

Ron Earp

Admin
If you need nitrous oxide then you don't have enough motor. Build a better motor. Wait, isn't yours the one that isn't running now? You definitely don't need nitrous oxide.:drunk:

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
hee hee - i wasnt thinking of fitting it to mine. Yes you are correct - NOS wouldnt help at the mo. I just wondered if anyone had tried it, or is it a definate no-no.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Actually Richard - The additional cylinder pressure would probably raise your power level up close to 200 hp at the wheels!!! Of course that would require a 250-shot of giggle-gas and breather hoses the size of sewer pipe to handle the blow-by... :D

Put that import mess away. I've a good mind to close this thread. What say you Jac Mac?

Corrected your spelling Ron, :) Actually have no problem with Richard breathing the NOS himself, its just the thought of him using it on the 302 in his Car!! If he takes a couple of real good lung fool's he will be suitably anaesthetized for the repair bill!

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I did say that i wasnt even considering doing it......... It is just that the place I am taking my 40 to, does NOS kits for the boy racers in their Peugeot 306's etc and it just got me thinking that I had never seen it mentioned on here and I wondered why.
Jac - if you read some of my posts ( and spelling) yu mite be forgiven for thinking i already have had the odd sniff or six :D

At the risk of drawing a line in the 'boy racer' stereotype sand. I dont see the 'typical GT40 owner' resorting to 'HP in a bottle' for his speed fix. More likely to spend lots of $$ fitting a bigger motor/better suspension/tyres etc , wants an ongoing improvement along with learning to drive it better.
The Pug 306/ Nissan / Mazda etc boy racer that gets his doors blown off on Saturday night usually wants his revenge a couple of nights later, not 6 month's down the track.
Having said that, I would also suggest that as the number of replicas grow that its inevitable that some guys will, if they have not already, play with this stuff. Might be a good time to get into the strong Transaxle market, if anything is going to break in a GT40 type car with a healthy Torque/HP increase, thats it.

theres nothing wrong with NOS per se, you just dont see it here much because its mostly a drag racers tool.
its very effective for adding a gob of horsepower in a hurry. the downside is that because of its power delivery its only good in a straight line.
as long as you retune for the NOS, its fairly safe.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
apparently Paul T said it had NOS... I quote "I got home late this eveing after spending most of the afternoon and evening working on Dave Parker's GTD R42... I am pleased to say - (fingers crossed) that the missfire that has been troubling him recently we believe is cured! and the car is sounding mightier than ever!!!!

Add to that - we finished installing the extra 150BHP of NOS about 22:00 this evening (not tried in anger yet) and all solenoids, 2nd fuel pump and auto ignition retard via Motec ECU are functioning correctly. Dave actually looking a little, dare I say 'Nervous' re the prospect of using it..."
That was in 2006 - Brighton Speed Trials. Any feedback? Paul?

Hi there -

Yep, Dave's R42 has a Nos system installed. Has about 450-500HP as standard from a 6.3L Small block Chevy with Motec management. When he tried the Nos at Brighton a couple of years back, it definately worked well, although the 150HP hit broke traction in 1st through 3rd each time it kicked it. Dave had not intended to use it in 1st but a little over-zealous pedal use saw it light up the rears. In 1st and 2nd the back end kicked out to the right each time - oops! (on wide slicks)

He reported that the engine became 'incredibly smooth, almost tubine like' but a problem with the alternator bracket causing a thrown belt and damaged Nos line stopped further play that year.

He still has an intermittant problem with the motor, seems to be ignition/injection related and we think it is a sensor issue but still not confirmed. He thinks there may be an underlying mechanical issue so may well pull the motor for a quick look see. (not Nos related I hasten to add).

Ray Christopher has been playing recently with his modified type 34 Ford look-a-like, which powered by a 440 baracuda motor, now also sports a 100-150 shot of Nos too. He is very encouraged - and immediately knocked over a second off his quarter times. (mid 10s?)

I helped with another club member's Supercharged GTS Viper last year, which had a fully programmable Nitrous controller, very slick as you could dial in delays, initial hit and ramp rates for each gear... One thing to watch is the torque, which will increase immensely when the Nos hits, especially at lower RPM. On the Dyno, we set Viper's Nos to start at 10% and ramp up to 50% of what was available over a 1 second time period but to not come on below 3000rpm.

Results were impressive - the motor was pulling hard and had approx 500HP 'at the wheels', when the Nos kicked in, power instantly jumped to 730HP and the indicated torque was 869ft lbs at 3100rpm - eek!

An interesting trip to the drag strip followed, where we dabbled with power levels up to 100% of available, (deliberately left larger jets at home!) and it was interesting just how much can be used and how fast it can be ramped up on a prepared track.

Finally, I've just fitted a MOTTY AFR TUNER to my GSX1400 which is proving fun and I notice the latest firmware upgrade includes an option to dial in fuel enrichment via injectors for a dry nitrous setup -
:idea: hmmmmm - I wonder......

(when are you next over Ron? - will be ready for use when you are :thumbsup:)

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
oooo! West Midlands! maybe if I dont get my motor fixed next week, I might PM you Paul, if thats OK. (not for NOS, Jac ;)).

Back