Jack Houpe finishes Big Bend Open Road Race

Hi guys,

Just heard from Team Pantera Racing (of which Jack Houpe in P/2164 is an honorary member) that Jack successfully finished both legs of the Big Bend Open Road Race between Sanderson and Ft. Stockton, TX today.

He was driving by himself, and as this is a highly competitive time/speed/distance rally, it's unlikely that he finished near the top of his class, since the hyper-competitive types run with a navigator, GPS and other navigational aids, and after 120 miles of triple digit speeds, finish within a few thousandths of a second of their target time. I have every confidence that Jack's goal was simply go out there and go like hell and have a great time.

Mission accomplished! Congratulations Jack! :thumbsup:

I'm sure Jack will have a full report shortly.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

Way to go Jack!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found a rather poor slideshow on Youtube; I assume that by the end of the weekend much better images and videos will be available (check Google).

I see that, wanting to leave no doubt, Jack chose to proudly wear the number "40" on his car. :thumbsup:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Wow everyone, I just walked in the house and sat down at the computer, thanks for all the cheers! What a long drive pulling a 49 foot trailer. The event is wonderful and I suggest anyone that can do an event like this to do so. The people of Fort Stockton and Sanderson are fantastic, they provided free meals and beer and the whole towns people come out to participate in this event. The GT40 ran like a top and I had 0 problems running the 118 miles with at an average of 110 MPH. (max speed for a newbee) Next year if I change my ring and pinion I see 135 average as fun and challenge. The corners and turns are easy with the Avon tires and I could take all of them at 110 with easy. My top speed allowed was 124 MPH before they DQ me, its very hard not to push that as you become very comfortable at 120 and if you don't keep an eye on what your doing you could get hit with one of the 13 radars and disqualified. (DQ'ed) The guy with the gulf colored car doesn't use our forum and has a great car that is set up for these type events. I believe that Pete from Australia could fill in the blanks for me as he was involved in the build of the car in Australia.
I would also like to add that John Taphorn took first place in the 110 MPH bracket and was less than 1 second from a perfect time! Great job and Team Pantera was a fine group of people that I would like to see in a GT40 Team someday. Thanks to them for letting me participate. I would post a bunch of pictures by my digital camera got wet and I am not sure yet if its OK. Thanks to all

A little tech info, outside temp was 95 F, oil temp ran 240-250 F, 4200 RPM at 117 mph, water temp 195. No I didn't use the AC because I have the computer kicking out the compressor about 4200 rpm and didn't want the clutch on the compressor cycling. Just sitting in line waiting to go the inside temp (IR gun) was 117 with the doors open. We need a way to take these windows out.
Jack

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Guys I just got the results and amazed that I did so well, I finished 33rd out of 160 cars overall. My time was -.026 of a minute off being beat by -.007 of a minute by John Taphorn of the Pantera club who took first in our 110 mph class.

Attachments

• DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 373
  • DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 368
That's pretty funny....a GT40 makes an S2000 look the size of a school bus! OK a short bus.

Congrats, must have been fun....maybe someday the Silver State Challenge for me.

Back