RCR 40 Steering Lock Question - Any Help Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fran, following my initial question on this steering issue to you on the 14th of April 2009, and your request for further information on the 15th April 2009 (of which my email response with additional data was given to RCR almost immediately) I'm still yet to receive any response regarding suggestions as to the cause of my uneven steering lock and how it can be fixed (other than the response on the 22nd that mentioned things were busy and information would be forthcoming, which of course I appreciated, but am still waiting).

And yes you have told me before that it's much easier if I ask you prior to posting on the forum, but I have asked and waited a little longer this time.

Maybe someone else in the RCR workshop can take grab a ruler measure another car and send some measurements to help me determine what is wrong? It would really only take 5 minutes.

Recap of the issue/email:

Today I again had a look into my steering lock problem (originally communicated to RCR late Nov 2008). I basically have more lock to the left compared to the right. I have 1,130 degrees of wheel rotation lock to lock (that's 3 full turns plus 50 degrees). What I have noticed is that the steering rack when turned full to the right has 50mm of the rack protruding from the chassis and when I turn to the left I have 70mm of rack protruding from the chassis. It should be even in both directions.

5DSCF4069.jpg

5DSCF4068.jpg

The total travel of the rack is 130mm lock to lock. Originally you felt a lock limiter was missing on one side and sent me one (Received additional lock limiter on the 10 February 2009) but they are both present so unfortunately that is not the fix.

5DSCF4064.jpg

5DSCF4067.jpg

Any Ideas Fran?

Additional information sent to RCR on the 15th April 2009

Measurement of the outer bolt (CL) of the 4 group to the edge of the RHS of the top of the chassis box is 92mm. On the other side, the group of 2 bolts, the CL is 125mm from the edge. (remember RHD car)

Is the rack travel and lock to lock what it should be?

Anyone, and I mean anyone, have any ideas, or has the steering rack been positioned and bolted by RCR to far to the left by ~10mm?

Any measurements from another RCR owner would also be greatly appreciated as I would like to close this issue off as I've been trying to resolve it for nearly 5 months now. I would really like to cross this issue of my build list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back