New radiator in .Which looks better, natural or painted black

Hi,

I got my new aluminum radiator and am contemplating painting it black. It looks pretty with the natural look though. Any thoughts??

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I like the alloy look. It seems to me that paint might just ever so slightly reduce the heat transfer, sort of like a layer of insulation. That's OK for an exhaust system, where you want to keep the heat inside the exhaust pipes, but not so good for a radiator where you want the heat to escape.

Nice idea with polishing the tanks, Jack!

Doug

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Not quite so Doug. Black paint or dark pigments will readily transfer or accept heat
compared with light coloured paint or plain alloy (simple physics). I imagine an unpainted radiator will still function well enough and it's purely an æsthetic thing. Mine is painted black (because thats how it came ) and my Aircon and Oil Cooler rads are plain alloy (likewise).

If you do decide to use paint, use a semi gloss and go sparingly. Do not put the paint on to heavily on the core & fins. Motorcycle shops have a good paint that is often used to "touch up" scratched engine cases and barrels.

Back