Alan Mann AMGT40/2 to be sold at auction

Mecum Auction is selling the ex-Alan Mann 1966 Ford GT40 Mk I - AMGT40/2 - next weekend at their Spring Auction in Indianapolis.

Does anyone care to guess what it could bring?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Depends on whether there is a reserve. Also the fact that the FIRST Cobra Daytona coupe is being offered in the same auction is a big deal; might pump up the excitement a bit. My guess is that even in these economically challenged times the car will bring better than 2 million dollars. 1043 was a no-sale at 1.6 or something like that, and 1043 doesn't have the competition history by a famous GT40 driver that this car has.

By the way.....is the old aluminum bodywork on this car the aluminum bodywork that Chris Melia now owns and is fitting onto a steel monocoque? This story rings a bit familiar.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There is a LOT of cool stuff in this auction...lots of vintage Ford stuff and all the usual nuts and bolts. Worth looking at their web site.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I know I am showing my ignorance here - but only one filler cap? I thought all Mk1's had one on each side?

Hi Jim

the original alloy Alan Mann bodywork is still on my car, in my garage.
I think the bodywork now on this car is fibreglass.

regards

Chris.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mecum Auction is selling the ex-Alan Mann 1966 Ford GT40 Mk I - AMGT40/2 - next weekend at their Spring Auction in Indianapolis.

Does anyone care to guess what it could bring?

No guesses here other than one thing I've observed from every Mecum auction I've observed;

Dana Mecum will continue to make himself out to be a complete and nauseating buffoon as he badgers consignors to drop their reserve so he can make the sale... :veryangry:

The man has absolutely not a thread of class in his body...
:thumbsdown:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Eric is right. The one filler WAS a LeMans spec, I'd read that. I can't recall why, though- might have had something to do with safety rules?

Dana Mecum is in good company. Barrett is a horse's ass, too. My apologies to respectable equines the world over for that statement. There are some auction directors who aren't, if you read SCM. I just can't think of any right now.....

Interesting sidelight on auctions and related matters: I subscribe to Hagerty's Cars That Matter. They publish a book every four months of collector car values. Seems like GT40s used to be in it, but not any more. Or they've hidden them where I can't find them....anyone else subscribe to this and know where they hid the GT40 numbers? I had looked to try to figure out what the AM car might bring. I'm still looking.

Maybe GT40s don't matter..........

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You're right, and I was wrong. It is 2601- one of the cars whose bodies were built in Italy. It is not the first one. I think Miles Collier or Fred Simione has that one. My mistake. It IS one of the six (or seven?) real Daytona coupes. So it will bring a lot of money. At least that's what everyone thinks....

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I believe that is a Paul Hawkins rear clip from his own mould.

Attachments

• AMGT40-2001.jpg
    AMGT40-2001.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The rear bodywork on these cars got wider and wider as the power went up and the tires got bigger and bigger. They definitely got pretty broad in the beam towards the end there.

Back