Makrolon Windscreens & Fuel Jugs...

Hi all -

I'm looking to source a replacement screen for a TVR Griffith at the moment and although normal laminate screens are available, it would be a good time to switch to a lighter alternative - eg Makrolon.

Anyone know of a supplier of such items, or who will make to suit, or supply the material to manufacture. I'd prefer one made but am not afraid of a DIY approach if necessary.

Makrolon

Also -

I'm looking at fuel jugs as I'm sick of using jerry cans and wondered if anyone has used these - and can rate or slate them, or suggest an alternative for that matter.

Fuel Jugs

I was possibly thinking of something with a 3/4 or 1" ball-valve on it that I could quickly open/close as required once jug is inverted and in place...

So, what do ya reckon? - any experience/suggestions?

Paul,
I think that GE Plastic's does produce Makrolon sheets. I had priceing on it somewhere. It's very expensive. It is not DOT rated for a Windshield as of yet but I have seen some proto type electrics using it. You can droop form it relativley easily. You can get it smoked tint or gold and clear.
Dave

FWIW, the Tuscan I've been involved with seems to require a new laminated screen each season- all stone damage cracks etc, the screen does not have a lot of rake which appears to make it more vulnerable to stone damage - along with the number of other cars it lap's.:):)

Paul,
You would save about 25 lbs or 12 kilos over glass. The main difference of Makrolon over Lexan or any other polycarbonate is the coating and UV protection. It's a little more tougher and lasts longer. Most of the other stuff gets brittle over time except for glass of course.
Dave

Back