Smiths Gauges troubleshooting

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have the classic style Smiths gauges in my GTD and the water temp and fuel gauges have stopped working. I am shockingly (pun intended) inept when volts are involved and am hoping someone can help diagnose what is likely quite obvious to someone with the right experience (not me).

I suspect the voltage stabilizer is faulty as I get 13v on the "in" (I assume) tabs and the "out" tabs produce fluctuating voltage that swings rapidly from less than 1v to 10v or more (as shown on my digital multi-meter). I assumed the output should be a pretty solid 10v or so.

Any thoughts as to what is going on here? Suggestions? Is it likely that the old VS just packed up and is there any simple way to test the functionality of it?

If it is dead, any thoughts on replacement sources?

Thanks!
Mark

To check the stabilizer just bypass it won't hurt the gauges and you will eliminate the stabilizer if they still dont work, Stabilizers are available from Moss Motors or XK's Unlimited both US company's. as for checking the stab. with a volt meter if it's one of the newer electronic ones you need to check it with a load applied for it to work..............Paul..........

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Mark
The old voltage regulators/stabilizers have a bi-metal switching action so the output your seeing could be ok. I remember I fitted a semiconductor regulator inside the old can for the Europa gauges and it works really well. Needless to say with the semi regulator having a steady voltage output you can read the voltage with a voltmeter. Let me know if you want the circuit.
Ross

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the help guys. It turned out that a connector looked good but was poorly crimped and not conducting properly. I will probably order a spare stabilizer just on the basis that one day it will fail and at least I know know what to look for.

Mark

Back