speedometer broken

hello from france,,my speedometer is broken,I don't think is a cable.if someone can say to me where I can buy a new one( and the cable also).

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Henry,

Make sure it's not your cable (there have been a few cars that had the cable installed with too tight a bend at the spedometer head causing the cable to shear).

My suggestion is to remove and inspect the cable and if broken replace BUT, increase the arc under the dash where the cable enters the spedo.

Steve

Henry
You will need a 90 degree adapter for the cable, Stewart Warner makes one that works.
You can get one from most speedometer repair places.
After you install the adapter be sure that it turns in the speedometer, the end that went into the speedometer was too long (on the one I purchased) and it jammed the speedometer. I had to trim about a centimeter off the end of the part that went into the speedo and then it worked ok.
Dave

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Dave,

FWIW.

I was planning to use a 90 adapter (actually bought one) but, decided not to use as there is a lot of pre load put on the cable with the gearing...I found that I was able to form a much more gradual bend that SPF did and havent had any problem.

Steve

hello,I dismantle the speedo this mornig:the cable is broken just in the back og the speedo.can you say me where can I buy an another cable or best just the interior cable?
thank

Back