Carb size

Pat

Supporter
What a difference a carb makes! It was time to put a rebuild on my CAV’s carb. While shopping for a suitable rebuild kit, I came across a formula for determining the appropriate carb for your car. In looking at it, seems that my carb was too big. Interesting in that my smallblock H.O. Ford came from the builder with a 750CFM Edelbrock and while the low end was acceptable, at 3,000 RPM the thing absolutely screams and 5-6,000RPM are an eye watering experience.
So I found a used Edelbrock 650CFM on EBAY, rebuilt it and put it on the car. The difference is amazing. The car’s street manners are so much better and the midrange is greatly improved with only a marginal loss on top end. So now it’s on the car and I only plan to use the 750 for track days.
Here’s the formula:
Multiply your cubic-inch displacement by the maximum rpm limit and then divide by 3,456 to represent the volumetric efficiency. The result is the amount of cfm the engine requires at the maximum rpm limit.
Example:
347 ci x 6,000 rpm = 2,082,000
2,082,000 / 3,456 = 602.4cfm
A 600-cfm carb would would be sufficient.

Mike Pass

Supporter
A 428ci motor (stroked 351 block Windsor) with Edelbrock Victor Jr heads, Weiand inlet manifold and 750cfm Holley gave 500 lbs.ft torque and 450 hp run up on the dyno and drew a max cfm of only 633 cfm - to give a reference point.
Cheers
Mike

Veek, the basic flow mechanics aren't too complicated and do make some intuitive sense. The smaller carb a) does a better job of atomizing the fuel because the pressure differential between atmospheric (up stream of the choke/butterfly) and downstream is greater, and b) the flow rate (not total cfm, rather rate of speed of the incoming charge through the carb throat) is higher. This makes a difference and you usually feel it in low and mid-range drivability - less bucking and pitching and more a progressive feel to the throttle rather than on/off.

Great that you found a good/enjoyable compromise.

Hi All, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I haven't posted in quite some time. How does this formula translate into 48 IDA Webers? Divide again by 8? I’m not trying to hijack the thread, I’ll start a new one if need be.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks,<o:p></o:p>
Earl J<o:p></o:p>

Back