Battery Capacity

'Ello all

Early stages of wiring my RCR so noddy question from non electrical engineer. What battery capacity (I guess in amp output for 10hours?) should I be looking for.

Running EFI, aircon and standard GM LS7 Alternator if that makes any difference.

Best wishes to all hooligans afflicted with the GT40 gene

John

Last edited:
Hi John

I've seen sizes generally from 40 to 60Ah fitted, preferably with 640CCA (cold cranking amps) capacity as a minimum.

Once started your alternator should be capable of running all the ancillaries without draw on the battery. If this is not the case, eg at night with lights on, blower on, wipers on, fogs on (should have stayed in the garage) then the battery WILL be discharged over a period of time.

I've also note that Ray Bellms GT40 runs a RED-TOP 30A battery, small and light but I suspect it might struggle with all the infection gubbins as well. Others I've seen have RED-TOP 40 or 60 BUT if using a RED TOP, standard chargers can damage them and you should check alternator output is adjusted to suit as the requirement is often different to a normal lead acid type.

Will pop down for a 'look see' when I get a chance if that's ok....:thumbsup:

Paul

Many thanks for timely and comprehensive reply. You would be most welcome anytime, Jill is now doing a fine line in bacon sarnies 'cause of all the GT40 infected and sundry other petrol head "pals" I have recently aquired.

Loads going on in a number of areas but still slow as learning curve steepens as I get deeper into the build.

Timing is good as we could also discuss your professional involvement in the Kinsler EFI install.

Best

John

Back