CAV Battery size?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Can I please get some information regarding what size/type of batteries you are using in your CAV?

The one I am using is a bit tall - and I can't use the factory battery cover.

Thanks in advance.

Pat, I'm using an Optima Red Top - fits in the CAV hole perfectly and clears the CAV batt cover nicely. Great battery - just replaced the original one (after seven years). Lots of CCA and good durability over lengthy periods of non-use.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Cliff- that is exactly what I am using! My cover doesn't clear it.....I wonder what the differences are?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Pat, look at Odyssey batteries. I've been using a PC680 in my GT40NZ car. It works great and is extremely compact. I don't have a lot of accessories so my draw is low but I do have a 100amp alt. They have several other larger capacity models. Be sure you use a battery tender if you go this route.

Odyssey Batteries battery specifications

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have the same battery as Neil. It's been in the car for 8 years. Never have had to charge it up, jump start the car, had it not have enough power to start the car, or any type of problem what so ever.

I am going to put another one in my SLC. Great choice.

Thanks Cliff- that is exactly what I am using! My cover doesn't clear it.....I wonder what the differences are?

Pat, the terminal ends I'm using are flush fit in the sense that they don't extend any higher than the top of the post - in other words, there's no wing nut or something similar sticking up higher than the top of the post. The cover comes right down and just about sits on top of the posts but clears by a hair. My CAV is an early mono - not sure if that makes any difference.

Pat

Supporter
Pat, I have an Optima Red top in my early CAV mono and it fits with no issue. However, have a look under the battery. My car came with a pad under the battery that was quite thick and I pulled it out. You may check there.

Back