Gas spews out of weber vents

Gas spews out of weber vents but only when car has been run up to operating temp and then shut off for 5 minutes. I get in to re-start it and when the fuel pump is turned on gas spews out of all 4 carbs. Fuel pressure is set at 3.5 lbs. If I tap them with a hammer they stop but some I have to tap more than others. What is causing this ? Why only when hot ? Seems like there is a build-up of pressure in the fuel tanks as well because when I undo the cap there is a pretty substantial hiss. I have yet to try and see if it happens with the tank caps opened before turning on the fuel pump. Any help is appreciated. I'm babysitting this car for a friend and it is a really great car by the way. I really like it a lot. A GT40 with AC. Whoddathunk !

I would do as you say and release the caps then see if it still does it.
Sounds like peculation, are the carbys isolated from the inlet manifold (1/4 isolators).
Or it could be as simple as it wants new needle and seats.

Jim

Hi Johan

Is it pressure (+) in the tank or a vacumm (-)?

Either way vent the tank.

regards

Chris.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Johan,

It's a good idea to turn off the fuel pumps before you shut off the engine, even a block away from home (just don't run out in traffic). That way the carbs are not sitting full of hot fuel, nothing to percolate out and much less chance of a carb fire on hot restart. Do you have a heat shield around the carbs? Definately worth doing...

Cheers

Working on all that as it was not the fuel tank vents. It does it even with the caps open. it is a carb/fuel heat issue. My 40 has a turkey pan and this one (a friend's) wiil have one soon.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Don't forget the isolators that Jim talked about, they really work well for isolating heat transfer. The turkey pan and isolators should do the job.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Johan, did you ever resolve this issue? I was out this past weekend in 90 degree ambient conditions and when I shut off I saw a similar issue. I don't have a turkey pan or isolators and haven't seen this issue before. I popped the fillers and no excess pressure in the tank. Motor ran like a champ while I was out. The mystery of IDAs... :huh:

Try this idea, just slap it on after a hot run and the temps are reduced in just a few minutes, preventing fuel boiling over from the float chambers through heat soak.

Attachments

• IMGP0955.jpg
    IMGP0955.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 254

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting idea Frank. Worth a shot.
Now Ron, how can this be any better than IDAs? :)

23_02.jpg

It was a heat issue not a vent issue and the car came to me with no spacers, isolaters or turkey pan. I believe these items would have solved the problem, but I was in a rush to get to Road America so with the owner's blessing I put a 4 barrel on it and the problem is solved. Cutting the fuel pumps prior to shutting down the engine would have been a possible way to "get by" but as it ws a fire hazzard.......

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Johann,

Sorry we didn't meet up at Road America. What a facility! Next time... Yeah there's a special kind of adrenaline rush from seeing four little fires burning on the top of the Weber IDAs! I keep a fire extinguisher inside and one in the engine bay, doesn't have to be big, just quick to get to.

Besides shutting off the fuel pumps early it's a good idea to do hot restarts with the engine cover open. On a kick back you can get a nice gas cloud sitting in the rear window area. I've actually seen said cloud get sucked into the carbs on the next crank of the starter. At the time I thought it was cool, kinda like seeing a tornado the first time, could have gone the other way...

No doubt with the heat shield and isolators you'll be fine.

Cheers

Back