MK1 to MKII flip and flop

I was at Superformance HQ yesterday with a friend admiring the cars yet again. I was shown some parts including spare rear clips. I have a MKII, but I have always admired look of the rear clip without the snorkels. Here is a picture of 1047 at Amelia Island with the look I like:

Ford GT40 Restoration - Chassis 1031/1047

It turns out that the spare MKII rear clips SPF has in stock are without snorkels. Hmmm.

Then, Barry at SPF says that some have bought replacement front and rear clips of the alternate version with the intent of swapping between the MK1 and MKII look. Anyone on this forum doing that? What issues do you have, if any, with doing that?

Mike

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have not done it, but the rear "afterstructures" on the MK I and MK II are diiferent. The MK II has the quick jacks inboard set about 10-12" apart where the MK Is are 30-34" apart. I have one of each here so I can post pictures if you wish. The tubular structures that bolt to the rear suspension carrier are also different per MK.

The front and rear clips will interchange otherwise, although the MK I sills are flared at the rear EXCEPT on the optional "narrow tail" MK I.

Then, Barry at SPF says that some have bought replacement front and rear clips of the alternate version with the intent of swapping between the MK1 and MKII look. Anyone on this forum doing that? What issues do you have, if any, with doing that?

Mike

That's interesting. When I got my car I was initially disappointed with the look of the front wheel arches. They looked "wrong" to my eye. Then I checked a photo of Adrian Newey's original car, which looked like mine, and I was a bit less concerned. From what I understand, the first half-dozen or so SPF MKI's (mine among them) had the "Newey" arches, then they changed the molds. I was most aware of this when I saw a photo of Laurent Gauthier's MKI. I've grown to accept mine, but a spare clip might be an attractive idea. Anybody know what a spare nose costs?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK,

Here are pictures. Note the difference in the MK II (Dark blue tub) rear structure and the MK I (Black) tubs. As I measure it, the MK II oil cooler will clear the MK I rear clip so that is NOT an issue. To do the MK II to MK I "chango-presto" will only require the rear structure and the clip. Or vica-versa, whatever floats your boat.

See these photos of the two of the three cars I have in stock (Sorry, Ron, shamless commercial plug here)

Attachments

• P6240011.jpg
    P6240011.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 308
  • P6240012.jpg
    P6240012.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 278
  • P6240016.jpg
    P6240016.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 286
  • P6240013.jpg
    P6240013.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 276
  • P6240018.jpg
    P6240018.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 292
  • P6240017.jpg
    P6240017.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 283
call me kooky, but when I look at the hinge points of the MKI and the MKII rear clam they look like that are at roughly the same location in space.

I think you are saying that that entire structure from the shock attach point back is different between the two, no? I am starting to see it in your pictures...

Attachments

• MKI rear.jpg
    MKI rear.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2645 small.jpg
    IMG_2645 small.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 287
  • MKII rear.JPG
    MKII rear.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 310

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike,

The rear clip pivot points for the different Marks ARE the same, but the quick jack support structure is different and the Mk I tail is not notched to clear the narrower quick jack points of the MK II. That is the difference.

I see...I just saw this picture someone posted on another thread which helps me visualize the MKI.

Thanks Rick.

Attachments

• MKI rear a.jpg
    MKI rear a.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 378
Mike, hope tese help.

Attachments

• IMG_4529-2.jpg
    IMG_4529-2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4528-1.JPG
    IMG_4528-1.JPG