Starter gearwheel 2. time brocken - what starter do you use on Roush 427 IR

Hi,

now on Friday the 2. starter "Powermaster 9162" is broken.
I have replaced the first starter after 1500 miles, now 300 miles later the secound starter gear broken.

What starter do you use on SPF MK I with Roush 427 IR an RCB 5 - Gear ?

Many thanks for your help.

Axel

Last edited:
Can you tell us more about the problem? How is the starter breaking? Is the gear on the end getting chewed up by the flywheel? Or is the starter just not turning? Or is the starter turning but the Bendix drive not working so that the gear on the starter doesn't move forward and engage the flywheel?

The starter i have used is the Powermaster 9162.
There are 3 gear wheels, all are broken.
Later i take a picture and post them.
Now i have installed the Powermaster 9403, the engine is running.
What oel do you use in a Roush engine 427 IR.

Axel

here is a picture of the broken gearwheels
CIMG2613.jpg

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Make sure to check your timing on the engine. To much advance will cause extra load on the starter when first fired off.

I agree with Jack. What is your timing? It also looks like the gear was desintigrating over time.
Are you sure the starter was disengaging all the way?
Additionally check the alignment of the starter. Make sure its meshing with the flywheel properly.

Then get yourself a Tilton.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I've seen this happen before.

If you have an external solenoid read this;
This is how things go wrong (with this wiring scenario that is)

If the external solenoid has one large cable routed to the Starter's own integral solenoid and the energizing wire on the starter's integral solenoid has a jumper wire going from the large terminal to the smaller (energizing) terminal - the starter drive's hang up and do not release right away.. Sometimes they will hang for only a second or two - sometimes longer.

The cause is that when the power is removed from the circuit (when you release the starter switch/button) - the starter is still spinning and it now changes from being a motor to being a generator. The current coming out of that large terminal is now shunted over to the energizing terminal - thereby keeping the solenoid engaged and the gears in mesh.

When they first developed the PMGR starter, the planetary gearsets were all metal and could take such abuse. Not now. Since they're now made of nylon/plastic they do exactly what yours has done.

Actually - It happened to Bill D. here on the forum as well..

How do you fix it?

Simple.

Remove the jumper wire at the starter from the large to the small terminal.

Run a separate wire (14g is what I use) from the energizing terminal on the external solenoid - route that now to the energizing terminal on the starter's own solenoid.

Here's another way to do it where you will eliminate starter run-on

relayandstarter.jpg

I prefer to have the starter's large cable connected to the large output terminal on the external solenoid and to connect the starter's energizing cable as I stated above (to the external Solenoid's energizing terminal),,

I'll try to find some better pics for you if needed..

Back