Test Message / Admin / Permission Tests

This is a test of Crash33's user ID.

Admin

This is a test of the editing feature. I'm editing this post 1 minute after making the original post.

I am now editing again. I am adding a picture by "Go Advanced" under the edit feature and selecting "Manage Attachments" down below.

I am editing a third time and adding a picture showing where the edit button in.

Attachments

• paddockwpodium.jpg
    paddockwpodium.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 229
  • edit.jpg
    edit.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 228
Re: Test Message - Will be deleted at 5pm EST

Interesting. I do NOT have that edit button at the bottom of my page. It must be some conflict between my companies anti spyware or something.

Ron Earp

Admin

I was logged in as you and had it. There is indeed something going on with your browser/firewall/etc. Something like this happened to someone four or five years ago. They had to kill their firewall to get the forum to work properly.

This is very interesting. Did you change something? I have a screen shot where I was not allowed to edit anything. It is too large to post here, do you want me to send it to you?

I was just allowed to edit this message and obviously I do now have an edit button.

I will still ask, do you want to see my screen shot?

Ron Earp

Admin

Send it on over, I have no idea what is going on. Nothing has changed on the forum, nada.

OK. I converted it to pdf. Here it is:

Attachments

• edit problem.pdf
    191.2 KB · Views: 346

Ron Earp

Admin

How old is that post? If that post is over one hour old then you cannot edit it.

Crash33, I found the post. As I explained in the PM, anyone can edit posts during the first hour of a post's lifetime. After one hour you cannot edit your own posts. Taht post you are referring to was made at 12:26 PM today, over 3 hours ago. You will not be able to edit it.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/site-questions-suggestions-comments/27980-editing-posts.html

OK, I'll do one for you right now and you will see that the edit button is not there. I also got a message from someone else on the forum saying that they can't edit any of their posts on Fran's area of the site either. It appears it is more than just a problem for me. That person related to me that this is the case on both the RCR and Tornado areas of the site. NO EDITTING EXCEPT BY THE MODS OF THOSE AREAS.

Also look at the lower left where it states that I can NOT edit my posts.

Here ya go:

Attachments

• edit problem 2.pdf
    189.1 KB · Views: 340

Keith

That's interesting....

Where admin post shows the " post reply" button on the lower left side of the text area - directly opposite on the right hand side you're showing a button marked "Edit/Delete Message" . I don't have that particular option showing on my screen either...

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin

I think it is an unintentional side effect of setting the permissions in those forums many months ago. I don't care if people edit their posts under the one hour rule just like the rest of the forum. I'll look into it.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Just a test post to see if the button in question is present after I make a post or not.

Just curious.......

Doug

[Edit: Nope, only the "Edit" and "Quote" buttons within the post.

Curiosity satisfied.

Thanks!

Doug]

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter

I think it is an unintentional side effect of setting the permissions in those forums many months ago. I don't care if people edit their posts under the one hour rule just like the rest of the forum. I'll look into it.

Ron, since the moderator authority of the two subforums in question has been transferred to the owners of the subforums, could that be the cause of the editing restriction?

Doug

Ron, since the moderator authority of the two subforums in question has been transferred to the owners of the subforums, could that be the cause of the editing restriction?

Doug

Well that's just great.

Due to my lack of motoring knowledge there are a good percentage of posts that, quite simply, go over my head.

And now after this one, I'm feeling technically challenged as well! Will there ever be light at the end of the tunnel?

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter

And now after this one, I'm feeling technically challenged as well! Will there ever be light at the end of the tunnel?

Not to worry, Townie. Those two subforums are paid for (sponsored) and now moderated by the businesses they promote. This was a rather new development after a flame war developed over postings by competing businesses on their competition's forums. It seemed to me to be a way of improving the signal:noise ratio on the forum in general. I have not posted on the RCR subforum since that change, but I have posted on the Tornado forum. The Tornado moderators will read the post and if they do not find it offensive they will pass it on for viewing on their subforum. IMHO they have been very gracious.

Stick around, don't let this discourage you, when I joined I was as technically challenged as you must feel. After 3 or 4 years of reading posts in almost all of the areas on the forum, at least I understand almost all of them now (except for the most technical of posts in some of the subforums, like the transaxle area, that sort of thing).

This is probably the most user-friendly forum you'll find on the net, like I said don't let this little issue discourage you, hang around!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin

Well that's just great.

Due to my lack of motoring knowledge there are a good percentage of posts that, quite simply, go over my head.

Don't get discouraged, the forum is really pretty easy. I think Doug explained it pretty well. If you need some further clarification have a look here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/introduce-yourself-here/27555-rules-gt40s-com.html

Or ask someone.

Thanks,
Ron

Back