Fueling lines

I would like to know what people are using for the filling of their tanks. I have the LeMans fill caps with screw on filler caps beneth. These have 2 1/2" leaders thatare bent to 45 degrees and slip into a plastic tube that then make the connection to the tanks. The plastic tubes are 6 mm thick and are basically straight in length. From the fill cap that is fine. The 45 degree bend to reach the tanks is the problem When I first hook them up(no small problem) I use WD 40 and they are cut off just above the level of the tank. The kick panel on the inside is removable with the addition of Stainless panels. The top of the tank flange is right at the top of the frame rail so trying to tighten the clamp has to be done from the bottom of the rail, just on top of the tank. This does force the tube up about 1/2 to 1". I guess if I tried hard enough I could tighten the clamp from above and save on the compression of the tube from the bottom. The tube after a period of time(probably minutes) will form a kink at the bend(probably without the compression also). Gas goes in O K but if you need to do tank work, getting a sophon pump hose down that tube is near next to impossible without removing the kick panels first or dropping the tank down til it is suppended from the filler tube. I am tempted to place a radiator hose internal spring support down the tube to the level of the bend to try and give it support and stay open. Another idea I had was to get a piece of exhaust tubing and bend it 45 degrees and slip it obver the plastic tube. I really don't want to fabricate an aluminum or stainless tube to go the distance(getting cheap in my old age).
So I am wondering about alternatives that others have or are using. What are you guys using?

Bill

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Bill it sure was great meeting you at RA, you have a great car. I think that on the SPF cars they take the whole gas filler unit off the car, tighten the hose then install and tighten the bottom. There are holes to get to the hose connections on the top part but my fat hands will not make it. Hope I wrote this so you can understand it. I am guilty of seeing things in my head but not being able to explain them. :)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Insert a permanent tube inside the filler (metal one) that will allow you to insert you syphon into it

Or drain it out the fuel pump side of the tank

Ian

The siphoning issue is what brought the problem to light. I am more interested in just maintaining the patency of the filler tube. I have drained the tank with both the fuel pumps(early on in the fireup process to test the fuel pumps and set the fuel pressure regulator) and with a transfer pump, which works better with just fluids like oil and water, than fuel. I think the outside tube would be easier to install than the inside tube. Gettting the leader tube at the top of the filler into the plastic tube is rather difficult. Never really got it passed the bend into the tube. The plastic tube at 6 mm is rather stiff. I may have to try heating it up with a hair drier and lots of WD 40 or some oil additive like Slick 50. The mounting flange at the top of the tank itself runs the entire lenght of the tank. Puting a notch in it will allow me to get the tank higher up to the frame and still reach the clamp.

Bill

Back