New guy here

Hello All,
I'm new to the RCR world and came to check out the noise about the SL-C. I have been a member of the FFR GTM forums for a few years now and almost pulled the trigger until someone there mentioned the SL-C. After checking it out a bit I'm very interested. I've also been interested in the Ultima GTR but this looks to be cheaper in costs and possibly better in build quality. From the short time I've been lurking here I think I found only two SL-C's built so far. I could be wrong but wondering if any road testing has been completed yet on them. If so could you fine fellows point me in the right direction please?
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

Welcome! As Tom mentioned, we are beginning to get some driving and track impressions and all is good! There are several videos floating around the internet as well. Several SL-Cs are in various states of completion and can be found in the builder's section. Mine will soon arrive and I can assure you that I'll post photos of my build along the way. Most of us have been on your "Journey" before arriving at the SL-C......

Doc

:) Hello Bruce, Welcome to the group. RCR builds some fine cars from the completed ones I have seen on the forum. I am having them build a RCR40 for me at this time, but will hopefully ad a SL-C to the stable to build next. I was at the RCR facility on the first week of June with the hopes of seeing Fran's SL-C, but he had it loaned out, maybe when I go to inspect my finished RCR40 in a few weeks it will be back at the shop and I can give you my input on the car and more pictures of it too. I highly recomend a trip to the RCR shop.

Regards
Allen

Thanks for the replies guys. I did check out those links and very interested in seeing what's to come in the near future. Does anyone know if actual data testing will be done ie. wind tunnel, skid pad, etc?

BTW, thanks Doc for sending me over here.

For what it's worth, the SL-C looks like a lot less work to complete than either the GTM or the Ultima GTR. That appeals to me (I want to assemble, not modify), as does the obvious quality of the SL-C. Is there a build manual?

I do prefer the Ultima's styling though (I am British ..). The front overhang (lift kit aside) looks like it would be less of a problem on our (Californian) roads and getting in and out of drives / (private) car parks. Before you lynch me, the SL-C still has it though - I'm just procrastinating about my money priorities.

It's also encouraging that I've not seen anybody that's given-up on building an SL-C.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did check out those links and very interested in seeing what's to come in the near future. Does anyone know if actual data testing will be done ie. wind tunnel, skid pad, etc?

BTW, thanks Doc for sending me over here.

Actually Turbohips, I think it was THIS post over on FFCobra that brought you over here. It was posted by me.

"Well, I think Fran advertises that an SLC can be put together in about 200 hrs. I don't even think you would be able to do the bodywork on the GTM in 200 hours.

They are alot more expensive, but appear to be more finished when you receive one. I know you ask about the Ultima, not the SLC, but even without things being equal price wise, for a as manual states kit build you really have two choices. If you want to do alot of the work yourself and make your car a unique piece and a labor of love, or want to do lots of mods and not pay for parts you won't use, then the GTM is probably right for you. If you want to have something that goes together quickly and will be a standard build, then the SLC or Ultima is probably right for you. Between the SLC and Ultima, I lean towards the SLC as the company is in Detroit. Ultima is in Europe. From my findings, all builds end up about the same $$ wise. Theoretically around $60k. Haven't precisely speced out the Ultima, it may be more.

BTW- I dont, personally, get along with Fran, so I probably will never do an SLC, but that doesn't cloud the facts that I stated above. Just wanted you to know that I'm by no means a salesman for RCR or anything."

If you need a little refreshing, it can be found in this thread:

Just wondering - FFCobra.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Hi Crash33,

I was pleased to see your comments about the three designs that you posted on FFR after I had sent the same basic information (granted with a SL-C bias :worried:) to Bruce in a FFR PM the very moment after he had signed into FFR with his querry. I use a PM usually on other forums to give my opinion about the SL-C to avoid offending regulars on their sites but to let the originator know that there are other choices besides the GTM and Ultima and to encourage his/her own "due dilligence". I can say that to suggest the SL-C will be a "cookie cutter" standard build by those building the SL-C is not entirely accurate. Each will have the personality of the individual builder. Look at Rob's build for example. As I mentioned on another forum, this is the beauty of "kit car building", so many choices, so many ways to make the car "personal".

Doc's comments are absolutely true. I would have completed my SL-C sometime ago
had I not intended to personalize the build, doing some things differently, creating some new pieces and all! This has added months to an otherwise straight-forward build process. Very rewarding personally. All of the SL-C's currently in progress will display some "personal" touches. Each builder is holding to a very high standard, I am pleased to report.

Doc,
Understood. The only reason I mentioned it/called TH on it, was because I have had a bit of a PM conversation going with Fran. Both of us essentially saying that "see I'm not the dickhead (can I say that here?)you thought I was" and used me sending over a couple guys to check out the SLC as evidence. Was keeping it in the backround until TH brought it up publically. I had no idea anyone else had suggested the same thing to TH based on his reply to my post:

"I never heard of the SLC until you(crash) mentioned it. I just checked out their website and see that it looks just like a Ultima GTR. The price is much cheaper as well. Now both sites look like they use a G50 with no issues with up to 800+hp. I'm wondering why so many here think the G50 is weak. I know another topic beat to death so I don't care to talk about it anymore.
Now what I do like is that you may purchase the parts of the kit in bits until complete and it shows the whole kit to cost around $28,000. This I can afford without issues. Now I do also see a ton of add ons that mark up the cost a fair bit but again is only optional. Everyone here says the basic cost for a GTM will be at least $40,000 for bair bones.
What I'm getting at is the Ultima looks to be a much improved kit with world records like crazy. It's also easier to put together and around the same price as a basic GTM. I like the look of the GTM much more and am torn here. "

Anyway, carry on, welcome to the "other" board Turbohips.:)

Doc's comments are absolutely true. I would have completed my SL-C sometime ago
had I not intended to personalize the build, doing some things differently, creating some new pieces and all! This has added months to an otherwise straight-forward build process. Very rewarding personally. All of the SL-C's currently in progress will display some "personal" touches. Each builder is holding to a very high standard, I am pleased to report.

While it is true that you may be doing a few custom things to personalize your ride, my real point over on the other forum was that if you wanted to go the custom DIY route, the GTM may be better, even though the costs are about the same. I am sure you, molleur, as well as other builders, are getting quite a bit more support from RCR that FFR is not giving its builders. From what I can tell the GTM pretty much comes "as is" and any deviations from "stock" are up to the end user to actually do. It appears that RCR is open to doing some custom stuff ($$$$$) to someones SLC before they take delivery.

All I was trying to really point out was that there were options and he should probably consider them all before deciding. Just trying to be helpful.

Crash 33, yes, I understand what you are saying. I agree that the options should be considered. I was initially going for a GTM until I looked at a couple in various build stages. Also considered an Ultima. Price was not the final consideration. I determined that the SL-C best fit my personal "wants". Almost went for the 917 at a time when it was just in development at RCR. Practicality won out. Advice is to do the homework!

I guess private messages aren't so private LOL. No biggie. Yup I'm still in the doing homework stage and have become very humble after finding a few things out that I wasn't aware of recently with the build process. I'm actually not even sure if this is something I would want to build. Maybe my skills aren't really up to the task and I'd be better off saving to have someone else build my toy.

. All of the SL-C's currently in progress will display some "personal" touches. Each builder is holding to a very high standard, I am pleased to report.

I predict my build will be exactly like that of my cobra - it'll start off with me aspiring to Bentley quality workmanship, but by the time it's finished, if it doesn't catch fire going over 10mph and nothing important (e.g., wheels, transaxle, etc...) falls off at 20mph.....SUCCESS! :laugh:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
...Maybe my skills aren't really up to the task and I'd be better off saving to have someone else build my toy.

Bruce,

Don't sell yourself short. Anyone with a good basic understanding of assembly will be able to put one of these together. Fran offers a pretty complete package and, even straight out of the box, you don’t have to go about changing things if you’d rather not. The build may seem like a daunting task up front, but it’s really just series of steps to get to the end, sort of like peeling back the layers of an onion one at a time.

That said, however, you do have a choice as to how 'assembled' a delivered SL-C would be and I'm sure Fran would be willing to discuss when you're ready. I opted to have RCR take care of the lion’s share of the assembly of my 40, and did so only because my time away from the office are limited and other obligations take a priority. Had I the time, you can bet I'd have assembled my car right here at home. I didn’t want to putter with the build for years before I could drive the darn thing!

Crash offered some excellent advice when he suggested you look carefully at the other cars out there. Even though I have an RCR in my garage, I’d strongly encourage you to do the same; spending a few bucks on plane tickets up front will reward you big time later. :thumbsup:

I look forward to your build thread,

T.

Crash33,

I don't see you as a "DH" for sure. I look forward to any input you may have on any of the forums I frequent. You may be able to save my "bacon" sometime during my build!

A point often missed about the flexibility of the SL-C is that so many engine options and different transaxle options can be considered. True, the GTM is now seeing more transaxle options on the table and true, most SL-Cs will have a GM engine to begin with. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a rotary powered SL-C or electric powered SL-C once the numbers of cars out Fran's door increases.

EFNFAST.......too funny!!

I keep telling myself this will be too hard LOL. I've built a ton of Honda's and RX-7's when I was younger. Also was an audio installer back in the day doing custom work for car shows. Recently I have been playing with my Hemi project. I know how to work on the basics of pulling motors, head/cam swaps, after market turbos/super chargers, suspension, brakes and a few other things but nothing near putting a car together from boxes of parts/bolts. I have no clue what to do when it comes to body work and but that's what attracted me to the SL-C. I would rather build the car myself but I'm not the show quality fit and finish type of guy I'd like to think I am. After every project I am never happy and see major improvements when true professionals touch my cars. They always tend to have better insight as to how things should go together.

Back