What to do next?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
So, we're finally getting settled in Oregon, still have plenty of house work to do and then organize and set up the shop... THEN start working on the car again. In the interim, I have been distracting myself when working around the house by thinking about what to do next and I am a bit stumped- so here I am.

I have the rolling chassis mostly as delivered but with the engine installed (more accurately "set in it's eventual final location") and bodywork addressed. It was easy sequencing the work to here- but now I don't really know what I should be doing, or the order in which I should attend to the various items.

What is the normal way to get the car running? What is the best build sequence? Is there something which I should definitely do first? Last? Before something else? I've read a bunch of the threads but when it's my turn to start somewhere, I am worried about overlooking something.

I know this sounds a bit like the "which kit is best" question, but I'd appreciate feedback, pros/cons and personal experiences. I have a funny feeling the items which actually get the car moving should be done last though as once it goes (and stops) under it's own power, I should think I'll have a tough time actually focusing on finishing the build.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Electrical is best proven out before everything is buttoned up. The engine front dress and cooling system are also big fun. After that, turn the key for a bit more motivation.

Chris,

I would prepare a "checklist" of systems, ie., brakes, cooling, accessories, etc. patterned after a service manual index and perhaps start with your systems similar to the order above. Electrical bundles might be easier to install after brake and cooling lines are in place, etc. This is my preliminary plan (before my car arrives.....subject to change after the car arrives!).

But, before all of that....get comfortable with your new home and the great Oregon outdoors.

Chris, prepare as Doc said. I first do a coarse alignment of the suspension, or at least see where I am. Then a nut & bolt check (use a felt marker to make sure nothing is missed), Chassis plumbing after engine installation. Major components in chassis, then to chassis electrical as far as possible. I bench check components before installation when I can. On to body, etc. Really very straight forward.

Back