Monterey Historics

Who is going to Monterey next week?
Doreen and I are driving up from San Diego in 2214.
We will be at the Baja Grille thursday afternoon, the Quail on friday and the track on saturday (in either the Pantera or Cobra Corral).
My cell (619)339-3838.
Dave

I'll see you at Baja Cantina on Thursday. Concorso Italiano on Friday, Pantera Club dinner Friday night (why don't you come, Dave--we'd love to have you!), track Saturday, Pebble Beach Sunday early a.m. then back to the track by 9:30 or so.

I was going to bring my Pantera, but my friend from London wants to ride down in my 'new' 1981 VW Scirocco instead! Okay, different strokes for different folks, we aim to please around here. :laugh:

So, if you see a Scirocco anywhere on the peninsula, for sure it will be me! :thumbsup:

Ron McCall

Supporter
I was going to bring my Pantera, but my friend from London wants to ride down in my 'new' 1981 VW Scirocco instead! Okay, different strokes for different folks, we aim to please around here. :laugh:

So, if you see a Scirocco anywhere on the peninsula, for sure it will be me! :thumbsup:

You have some pretty retarded friends Mike!

Martha and I will be there with the 40. We will be leaving thursday morning from the central valley via halfmoon bay then south down the coast. Staying in Pacific Grove. Where is the Baja grille and if nobody minds, what time is considered lunch?

Probably going to skip the Concorso this year. We didn't think it was worth the $$ last year sooo........

Rich.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Probably going to skip the Concorso this year. We didn't think it was worth the $$ last year sooo........

A lot of folks thought the same as you and you'll be pleased to knwo the Concorso is under new management, plus back on grass at the Laguna Seca Golf Course, so give it a second chance. The celebrations will include 50thh Anniversary of De Tomaso, so I gotta take the Pantera GT5 as it's been selected as part of a special display.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
82sprd72.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be going down with P2264 on Sat, morning, I"ll be parking in the Shelby area by the old turn two.

I drove down (I'ts only abaout 40 miles from our home in Saratoga) yesterday to watch the pre-historic practice, it is a very low key deal and the pits are closed to everyone but the teams.

By parking up on one of the hills I was able to watch several groups practice, three 917s' one red GT40 mk1, lots of 2 liter Lolas/Chevrons and later the big boys 956/962. A very good deal for $6.00.

I will be there turning wrenches on the #52 USRRC Cobra. I will only be there on Sunday when the car will actually be on the track. I have a 8mo. old and a 2 yr old so my kitchen passes these days are measured in hours instead of days. LOL

Stop by and say hi if any of you are there Sunday.

Don

Where is the Baja grille and if nobody minds, what time is considered lunch?

Here's the scoop on the Baja Cantina:

Baja Cantina, Carmel CA

It's a very 'in' spot, with a great history as a motorhead hangout. The collection of cars and motorcycles in the parking lot on Thursday nights is always eclectic, but never more than during the Monterey weekend. Very much recommended.

Concorso Italiano *sucked* last year. Fortunately it is now under completely new management, in a new, prime location, and it should be back to its old (high) standards this year.

You have some pretty retarded friends Mike!

HAHAHAH!!! What can I say? He's a Pantera guy with a 550 hp '72 Pantera converted to GT5 (wide-body) specification; he also has a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, and his daily driver is a Bentley Mulsanne Turbo R.

He thinks the Scirocco will be sporty, charming and decidedly different on the Monterey peninsula--and he's right!

BTW here's three-quarters of my Mk I Scirocco collection:

NewSciroccoHome.jpg

I think I'll be driving the silver one. Among other reasons for leaving my 'nice' cars at home, I'm picking up four closed-chamber cast-iron Ford 351C cylinder heads in Monterey, bringing them home and then shipping them to a Pantera Gr3 race car owner in Sweden. That means the Scirocco is the workhorse of choice.

Then, next week, we're going to play in the hills in my Pantera and 427 Cobra. :thumbsup:

I'll be there and hope to get a chance to see some of your 40s, particularly those of the SPF persuasion, up close. I came close to pulling the trigger after last year's event but didn't due to financial events beyond my control. I'm getting the itch again though.

Now if I could only get comfortable with the bellhousing clearance issue in our potholed, speed-bumped northeastern roads...

In Pantera circles Mike Drew is viewed as strange and quirky and now all can see why!
He has outed himself with the confession that he has not just one Scirocco but several!
It is a sad case for sure.
Dave

Whilst this thread has been temporarily hijacked by Scirocco fans I used to race this & in Gulf colors too !

Attachments

• Copy of brands20021.jpg
    Copy of brands20021.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 265

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Want to see something amazing?

Mike (Mike Drew) I found the pictures of my old Pantera we have discussed, it was the oldest one known. What was my serial number? I really don't remember! I will scan and send to you. He can drive all the VW he wants, he is a walking talking car encyclopedia.

I would love to attend the Monterey event, but over the last 20 years its gone from affordable to frigging crazy expensive and there are so many people its hard to drive from town to the track without stop and go for miles. Good test for cars. Maybe next year Trusty and I will be there with the 40s, maybe event talk Kirby into it. As for this year, I am event broke.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'll be going down to laguna on Sat, does anyone know a good time to avoid going bumper to bumper up that hill.

I'm worried about my clutch and water temp.

Will very early work, (how early) or mid day will the traffic ease up?

Back