turn key prices on rcr's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the price will be very much dependant on your requirements.... i.e:

Paint
Body mods (Gulf Arches, Gurney Bubbles etc.)
Seats (leather or cloth)
Engine
Gearbox
Wheels

The list goes on..... the best idea would be to ring RCR and have a chat to Fran, with a list of your requirements and have him crunch some numbers.

I agree with Dave. You really should contact Fran and discuss your wants or needs. Fran is really good about taking care of the details on his cars. I am driving out to Tim Dutton's next week end to see his turn key build.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Robert,

The drivetrain specifics will really determine the final number, but I'd guess a 40 will start in the range of $75K all in. Add more horsepower, a more expensive transaxle, custom paint, hand-built parts, etc, etc... Al was right about the length of a piece of string!

Dave, Allen and Eric really offered the best advice. Give Fran a call. I'm sure he'll be in touch at his first opportunity.

I look forward to your build thread!

T.

I think this is a real deal breaker for many perspective buyers. I have been having this discussion on other kit car forums. Fran has actually come closer than most at stating a particular complete price.

He stated in another thread that the drivetrain that should be good for 500 or so HP will cost ~$10k. Add that to a "stock" build, and you come out to about $55k. All said and done will probably be closer to $65k depending on where you register it. Of course the actual cost, as others have said, will vary if you do anything custom.

This is a low ballpark. Hope it helps.

At risk of just spouting off here, Crash33's estimate seems a bit on the low side as he mentioned. Just speculation, but a turnkey product with paint, aircon, etc. should come in around 90-110K plus other options. Model specific as some will be higher. I know I wouldn't build for someone at less than that. Not that I even desire to (qualifier).

Jack,

I would agree with your estimate. Besides, the figure Crash estimated didn't include labor, overhead, indirect costs, etc. I would think that someone wanting to buy a turn-key supercar from RCR, FFR, Ultima would be happy with a $80K - $110K price tag in view of the alternatives from lofty companies such as Ferrari, Mercedes/McClaren, etc.

Exactly, the low quotes, say to build a Cobra kit rarely consider burdened labor costs.
Something that must be accounted for to stay in business!

Robert,
Maybe the better question is (without being offensive) what are you willing to spend? You give us an idea and we'll soon tell you if your gettting warm. :)

I think this is a real deal breaker for many perspective buyers. I have been having this discussion on other kit car forums. Fran has actually come closer than most at stating a particular complete price.

He stated in another thread that the drivetrain that should be good for 500 or so HP will cost ~$10k. Add that to a "stock" build, and you come out to about $55k. All said and done will probably be closer to $65k depending on where you register it. Of course the actual cost, as others have said, will vary if you do anything custom.

This is a low ballpark. Hope it helps.

I think your estimate is missing like 40-60k in there. :laugh:

Btw, I've noticed that you tend to like to lowball a lot - like on the ffr forum, mentioning you can get an ls3 for 5k, w/o mentioning that that's fran's rcr-only price. ;)

Robert, simply call Fran next week and have a conversation. Speculation here really means nothing!

I speculate that your speculation may be speculative. :drunk:

I just started my search and hopefully will begin a build in the next 2-3 years. I enjoyed what Fran had to say and have read a lot of positive comments about him and his shop. I will be going to visit his shop within the next couple of months since I live within 30 miles. When the time arrives I am in the same position and will be buying a complete turn key GT40. I am not asking for a price because I know that it will vary on my needs, but do you all feel that RCR is price competitive with other manufactures.

I just started my search and hopefully will begin a build in the next 2-3 years. I enjoyed what Fran had to say and have read a lot of positive comments about him and his shop. I will be going to visit his shop within the next couple of months since I live within 30 miles. When the time arrives I am in the same position and will be buying a complete turn key GT40. I am not asking for a price because I know that it will vary on my needs, but do you all feel that RCR is price competitive with other manufactures.

I don't know about a turnkey, but for the kit itself, when I was briefly entertaining the notion of a gt40, I found the price to be very reasonable for what you get. I mean sure, there are cheaper, but the quality of components is not as good, atleast imho.

The one thing i learned with my ffr cobra build is that you can either pay $$$ upfront and get quality, or pay $ upfront and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on the backend for higher quality parts and to fix mistakes at the beginning.

I think your estimate is missing like 40-60k in there. :laugh:

Btw, I've noticed that you tend to like to lowball a lot - like on the ffr forum, mentioning you can get an ls3 for 5k, w/o mentioning that that's fran's rcr-only price. ;)

I speculate that your speculation may be speculative. :drunk:

Now you're just flat lying. I NEVER said that I could get an LS3 for 5k. NEVER!! And would never expect to unless I bought an RCR product, which is still unlikely since I have a brand new LS3 sitting in my shop for my build already.

Here's the quote from the other forum:

"Mr. Smith,(Factory Five Racing representative)

Is there any way, or has there been any consideration, to do an engine and tranny combo at a package price?

I can tell you that your major competitor is offering brand new LS3 crate engines for $5200.

If you guys were to offer something like that combined with this tranny, assuming all major parts are included, then the total would be around $13,000for the drivetrain. Pretty good and would nail down some costs for perspective builders.

~$13,000 Drivetrain
~$20,000 Kit
<$10,000 Donor
$2,000-$15,000 Paint & Bodywork

$45-$58K Total price with warranteed drivetrain is a pretty dang good deal. It could even be as low as $40k if a cheap donor could be found, with NO compromise in performance.
smile.gif
"

If you are looking for full disclosure or something, then I suppose it can be said that I didn't qualify that by saying that the competitor only offered that price to kit purchasers, but since that was what we were talking about, transaxles offered from a kit manufacturer, I didn't think that needed to be stated.

You made a false statement on FFCobra too about my posts in a thread. I am simply trying to make sure readers are informed and tell people when any particular manufacturer is offering a great deal. What is your problem?

You guys are completely right about the labor issue and $$. I was considering a "turnkey" to be a complete car, meaning everything is included to put it together and drive it. I thought it was still illegal for a kit car manufacturer to offer a "turnkey" that means, go to RCR, get in the car, and drive home. Am I wrong about that?

Now you're just flat lying. I NEVER said that I could get an LS3 for 5k. NEVER!! And would never expect to unless I bought an RCR product, which is still unlikely since I have a brand new LS3 sitting in my shop for my build already.

"I can tell you that your major competitor is offering brand new LS3 crate engines for $5200.
"

Now you're playing with semantics. If I'm Joe Blow who doesn't know anything, your statement leads one to believe anybody can go to said major competitor and get an ls3 for 5k. So while you're right, you didn't say that directly, it was implied (atleast imho) because you left off a key detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back