Slc chassis 023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody mentioned Craig's blogspot in a closed topic.

He is sunning himself in Portugal but I am sure he will elaborate upon his return.

I have had enough direct involvement myself to at least say that his car, despite being bought as "turnkey", had to go to a professional uk company (at considerable expense) who are doing development and much more to make it a professional supercar.

Sorry to say this but "TK" from fran is extremely poor, and he has stated that he wont be doing any more.

Many components are a long way off from being called a complete kit and nowhere near being EU compliant.

I have been actively involved from start to the present day in this project, including flying to Detroit, working on the car through the night and taking it all over the UK from test centres to workshops so please do not dismiss or delete this post on the grounds that I have not parted with my own money to buy one as I have prob spent as much time with and talking about this car as it would have taken me to build my own.

hope this clarifies the position to anyone contemplating buying a "turnkey SLC"

but boy is this some car now :thumbsup:

what extra needed to be done?

the list is long and exhastive and covers so many areas it is hard to know where to start.

car has actually been to a builders in the Uk, after 8 weeks it had to be taken to another, more experienced, builder and has been there for almost the same length of time.

how long you got?

If you took the time to start a thread about this, you should take the time to describe some specifics, at least the majors.

3 No A4 pages of RCR rectifications

2 ditto UK compliance

1 ditto development items

2 ditto necessary to be classed as supercar (locks etc)

= 4 people working full time since April

will say nomore however pressed - sorry

I was curious because low production cars like this are never perfect especially based on owner's expectations. I have a US made Ariel Atom and despite being an amazing car arrived underpowered by about 50hp, had incorrect suspension setting with geometry problems that owners are still working out 3 years later, upright issues, premature rod end failures, major exhaust problems, wiring issues.

I've had to add better rod ends, upgraded custom built uprights and did a whole turbo conversion to get the power I ordered.

Still love the car though.

Are these issues you're having relating to EU regulations, or just getting the car running in and of itself (e.g., control arms too short to fit frame mounting points).

If it's the former, I think it'd be pretty hard for somebody in the US to keep up with EU regulations and expect to be able to build a turnkey that's automatically SVA compliant.

I think you really need to clarify your position here, because if it isn't the former it almost sounds like nit picking. For example, you mention locks. Um, locks. Lol - in my eyes that doesn't belong on the car unless you want them, and that should only impact Fran if you've asked for them and paid him to rig something up.

In my eyes, the SLC should be built like my cobra - completely raw, a true death sled on wheels (e.g., I have no sideview mirrors, rear view mirrors, seat belts (other than lap belt), wipers, a/c, power anything, etc... etc... in my cobra and yes, it is street "legal" :) ) - so if somebody got one built and it didn't have locks or airbags or wipers or whatever, i'd just have to laugh and tell them they should just go buy a lamborghini with everybody else.

If it drives straight, doesn't leak, doesn't catch fire, doesn't fall apart, and runs strong, I'd say it's a good build job *shrug*

I don't think that Craig may appreciate having made 2 trips to Detroit, parting with $100k, waiting a year, spending lots more £'s, time & patience getting car UK compliant, for me to give everyone things on a plate - that is Fran's job surely?

IMO, the SL-C is still a great piece. Not absolutely perfect in comparison with
"from the dealer" supercars. It is a handbuilt creation that is as different in character as it's builder. So far, there has been no "standard" build. It is left up to the owner to decide and modify/build to suit each individual. Yes, there may be issues for some, however, all in all you would be hard pressed to find a production supercar with the performance and styling at the price. I purchased mine long before development was completed in some areas such as the cockpit inner fimishing panels, upper door hinge re-design, headlight brackets and several other minor (to me) details. And yes, my planned build time has extended threefold. Partially because of changes or additions I chose to make, and partially due to waiting for some parts to finish development.
Personally, I have no real issues. I do understand that Craig will be posting again soon and he may share some of his experience. Simply my two cents.

If it drives straight, doesn't leak, doesn't catch fire, doesn't fall apart, and runs strong, I'd say it's a good build job *shrug*

none of the above were present - I rest my case

how about 20A cable where regs state 100A and car needing a 100% complete rewire?

car was ordered as fully UK compliant, road legal and accepted by Fran on that basis - Fran is an expat - so no excuses there I'm afraid

completely raw, a true death sled on wheels

not what Craig ordered and besides we both spent years racing superkarts or shifterkarts as you know them.

amendment to earlier posting- alternator was rated @ 100A to power car but enough examples already

carpe diem

and here we both are :thumbsup:

Attachments

• oulton06001wd0 (727 x 511).jpg
    oulton06001wd0 (727 x 511).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 493

none of the above were present - I rest my case

how about 20A cable where regs state 100A and car needing a 100% complete rewire?

car was ordered as fully UK compliant, road legal and accepted by Fran on that basis - Fran is an expat - so no excuses there I'm afraid

completely raw, a true death sled on wheels

not what Craig ordered and besides we both spent years racing superkarts or shifterkarts as you know them.

amendment to earlier posting- alternator was rated @ 100A to power car but enough examples already

carpe diem

So it caught fire and fell apart? I don't mean to be rude, but those are some pretty bold accusations.

Fran may be an expat, but how many years ago was that? I'd be willing to bet that SVA (i believe that's what it's called?) has changed significantly since then. I know stuff in Canada is always changing.

In terms of amps, could you express that in wire gauge? FOr example, my 1-wire alternator is 100amp, and uses 8ga wire. All my chassis wire is 14ga TXL; dash wiring is 22ga TXL. ... I'm sure my wiring would fail an SVA inspection for various reasons, but I'd trust it far more than any production wiring.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, just would really liek the understand the issues. A lot of oyur statements are so vague and in left field - not talking about stuff because you guys did the leg work and don't won't people just taking it for themselves....huh?????

Btw, I'm sure somebody more knowledgable in electric can correct me here if I'm wrong, but 100amp max bundled is usually 6ga. 20amp max is 18ga ....... I can't begin to think of 1 situation that uses 6ga or lower (e.g., starter, atlerantor, etc..) and somebody with Fran's experience would put in 18ga. Likewise I can't believe SVA demands ~all~ wiring be 6ga. I don't know about other people, but I'm pretty lost right now.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I could be off base here but it appears the issue is with the state/quality of the build and not the quality of the kit? If Craig purchased the car to meet a stated specification and it was delivered not meeting those specifications then that is something Craig and Fran need to work through.

For most of us (I think) these cars (RCR or other component cars) are purchased as hobbies/projects. We make the car of our dreams - ourselves - or pay someone else to perform specific tasks such as painting or upholstery. A fully turnkey car is something totally different. I think it is very unfortunate that it appears Craig's car did not meet his expectations and it sounds as if Fran has learned something about supplying (not) turnkeys - just my impressions from what I've read. Obviously, Fran and Craig can speak for themselves when they return.

I haven't started building my SLC yet but I don't look at it through rose-colored glasses. I fully expect there to be things that will need to be adjusted or changed to meet my build expectations. IMHO RCR has provided a very good base for a spectacular car. But in the end, it is up to the builder to get it there.

I wish Craig only good things with his SLC and hope it provides him with many years of enjoyment. I'd still love to see more pictures!

Regards,
Dave L

maybe i have no business posting in this thread.. but i don't care..

this thread might as well be shut down, i have absolutely no idea why it was started.. it is by far the lamest attempt to dog RCR i can imagine.. and if there was a problem between Fran and one of his customers which you are not.. what in the world is it doing on here? especially considering nothing is actually being discussed other than some vague nonsense...

what a waste of a thread!

maybe i have no business posting in this thread.. but i don't care..

this thread might as well be shut down, i have absolutely no idea why it was started.. it is by far the lamest attempt to dog RCR i can imagine.. and if there was a problem between Fran and one of his customers which you are not.. what in the world is it doing on here? especially considering nothing is actually being discussed other than some vague nonsense...

what a waste of a thread!

I want to know what fell apart and what caught fire though :uneasy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back