New book

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
When I was at Monterey, I picked up a great new book:

"Racing in the rain"

Not to be confused with the book writen by a dog "The art of racing in the rain" coming to a theater near you.

Racing in the rain is writen by John Horsman, who joined John Wyer at Aston Martin and later moved with him to Ford.

Mr Horsman was a great record keeper and although I'm only part way through it it appears well written with great inside stories.

He was involved with gt40s' from the begining with early racing and production cars as well.

This is a large book and appears well written, I'll add to this when I am further along in the story.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I read it and it is great! Horsman kept great notes and when he tells you what jets and emulsion tubes they ran at LeMans in 1968, you know he has records!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm continuing to read and this is a great book!

Mr Horsman was very involved with the gt40 production and test drove almost all the cars, with some great stories.

He kept great records and almost always quotes p# motor#, carb settings....

There are approx 3 full pages devoted to the design of the final nose by Len Baily (sp?). Not only did it balance the front and rear down force, it reduced drag (worth 40 hp at 200 mph) and it made the car beautiful.

Per Mr Horsman after the 1965 Le Mans disaster Mr Ford cancelled the production run and the whole project, but the new nose design changed the car enough that he reinstated the build.

I have 5-7 books devoted to the GT40 and although it covers much more than the gt40 (Aston, Mirage...) this one is clearly the best, written by someone who was there.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Another bit of new info from this book, having just seen P1075 at Monterey.

Mr Horsman says, (unlike most other gt40 books, Ronnie Spain...) that P1075 was not made from one of the Mirage cars like P1074 from M0002.

P1075 and P1076 were new construction fom standard, new tubs left over from the production cars.

This is truly a great book with much new information from a very reliable source.

Back