Another 1100 miles with wife and dog!

Well, we drove the car back from LA to Oregon using the 101 and stopping overnight for a wine binge at Morgan Hill. We experienced some 100 degree heat and the A/C kept up. We learned to pack better and it was a bit more comfortable. We made 3.5-4.0 hours at a time and stopped only three times on the way up (one was the overnight). The car has legs. Only three issues came up during the trip:

1. my pedal position is not optimal yet. Bringing the pedals closer to me made my throttle leg more happy, but my clutch leg has nowhere to go. I might push them back one position and look to see if I can't make a dead pedal.

2. my fuel gauge will not go to full tank - it tops at 2/3 full now for some reason. It tracks fine below 2/3 full. I have to troubleshoot this. Anyone know where the sender is located?

3. my ears were ringing for a full day. Listening to the engine for two days straight took it's toll. Mind you - I am not complaining about this and will do nothing to change it (except maybe wear some earplugs).

More rock chips earned!!!

Mike

Lucky dog, I think I'm still under 100. Things are coming together though. Firewall insulation should be done this week which will all but finish the interior, except maybe the camera system, and oh ya the speedo is busted, and the gas gauge thing, well someday. At least I can drive it! It's hard to believe the amount of heat that comes into the car, even on a cool day.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP HERE AT MY HOUSE! FREE ROOM AND BOARD, PLUS WINE. ???? It would have been midway for you.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

Those long trips are cool. You must get a lot of looks on the highway!

The fuel sender is under the carpet (if you have carpet) on the passenger side. Remove the carpet and you will see a stainless steel plate. Remove the plate (there are 12 5mm cap screws, if I remember right) and the sender is located right there underneath the plate. There are, I think, six bolts holding the sender onto the tank.

Remove the bolts and carefully pull the sender out watching out for the gasket and the float. The float on the end is on a fairly long arm and it has to be 'negotiated' out of the hole in the tank.

Mine was reading badly also and after a few trial and error bends of the float wire, it worked OK.

Kirby

Well, we drove the car back from LA to Oregon using the 101 and stopping overnight for a wine binge at Morgan Hill. We experienced some 100 degree heat and the A/C kept up. We learned to pack better and it was a bit more comfortable. We made 3.5-4.0 hours at a time and stopped only three times on the way up (one was the overnight). The car has legs. Only three issues came up during the trip:

1. my pedal position is not optimal yet. Bringing the pedals closer to me made my throttle leg more happy, but my clutch leg has nowhere to go. I might push them back one position and look to see if I can't make a dead pedal.

2. my fuel gauge will not go to full tank - it tops at 2/3 full now for some reason. It tracks fine below 2/3 full. I have to troubleshoot this. Anyone know where the sender is located?

3. my ears were ringing for a full day. Listening to the engine for two days straight took it's toll. Mind you - I am not complaining about this and will do nothing to change it (except maybe wear some earplugs).

More rock chips earned!!!

Mike

Richard - I honestly do not feel much heat coming in other than in direct sunlight conditions. The A/C kept up with 100 degree heat - it was maxed out and holding it's own. My dog was hogging one of the vents as the build up of nose goo on the car interior will attest.

Jack - I sent you a PM. We have good friends at Morgan Hill, so we make it a stop when we drive (and sometime when we fly).

Kirby - thanks, that is the info I needed - I will report what I find. It will probably be a while before I get near the car again (month or more).

Mike

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mike,

I agree with you regarding interior comfort.

I too find the solar heat load is the issue NOT radiated heat from the front or rear and like yours my AC keeps up with it

Steve

P2125

Chuck

Supporter
Mike:

Bose sound cancelling headphones. May not be 'cool' but they really make a difference on a long trip.

I thought it was illegal to wear headphones while driving or is that an urban myth. I know people that can not hear can drive but?

Mike,

Chuck's idea is great but illegal in the Commonwealth of Virginia (except for firemen with screaming sirens) for a driver, but you wife and dog can wear them! :laugh:

Hope you had a fun trip. No blazing Porsche and road kill deer stories on the return? That was quite a story in itself.

Cheers
Howard

Steve C - I waas thinking about he static cling on tint film squarea they sell for airplanes - inexpensive and might just knock down the heat - move them form side to side as needed.

Chuck - I have three pair of aviation ones for my plane - you would have thought I would think of that - thanks for the idea. We do use mutt muff doggie headset for Gromit. It doesn't stop him from putting his wet nose goo everywhere though.

Richard - I am not siure of the law - seems like the bluetooth hands free ear piece devices (law require hands free in California) would be an opening to allow some kind of noise canceling ear protection. I have to say though that I love the sound (especially 2500 RPM and up). Hearing be damned.

Howard - No deer hits at all - didn't even see any. That doesn't mean my mind wasn't picturing one around every corner though...Got home to bear scat around the house! Looks like our black bear is back again.

Grady - I am still waiting my parts from SPF - they said 6 weeks as they have to come on a boat from So Africa....just in time for a winter project.

Mike

Spyder Mike, be careful when considering the use of static cling tint on the inside of plastic windows. I have had the heat build up in the plastic to the point that they were like gelatin! The car was sitting in the sun on a 100 degree day. I have since replaced them with tinted plastic - no problem.

Back