Sender/gauge

I have no idea how to set up gauges. I have the Classic kit that came from RCR. It has speedo, tach, volts, oil pressure, water temp, and two fuels.

I am getting the ford pulse modifier from Classic to mate the speedo to the Ricardo.

The tach, volts and fuel I can handle (I think).

Here is a picture of the sending units that came with the kit. On the left is what I think is the water temp sender? It is huge. I think I can get a smaller one? Since I am using a front mounted pump, I plan to weld a bung into the pipe that leads from the radiator into the pump and measure temp there.

The second from the left (bell shaped) is the oil pressure sender? I guess I can put it in the line going to the oil cooler. Does it matter where in the oil system it should go?

I don't know what the other fittings that came with the kit are for. Anybody want to enlighten me?

I also figured I would get an oil temp sensor and put the sender in the line to the cooler also.

What seems really silly is that the LS7 has an oil pressure sender in the valley cover, but I don't know of any gauge I can use to take advantage of the signal.

Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• Senders.jpg
    Senders.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 217
I would get closer to the block,like right on it, to measure water temp to preclude any difference due to recirculation,defective T stat,cooling through tunnel tubes. That way you can keep better track of engine conditions and see a problem sooner.For oil pressure,do the same thing.You want pressure sampled at the gallery,not after any line or cooler losses.

Chuck

Supporter
The small sender is water temp.
The big one is oil pressure.
The other parts are extensions to get the oil pressure far enough away from the oil filter / AC compressor / adaptor fittings to make it all fit.

Found the answers I needed.
The OEM oil pressure sender in an LS7 is at the back of the valley plate. It is a M16 x 1.5 o-ring fitting. The Classic Instruments oil pressure sending unit (and most others) is a 1/8 NPT. Autometer makes an adapter:
Auto Meter 2268 - Auto Meter Metric Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

There are two water temp sensor ports, one on each head just to the left of the exhaust manifold on each side (facing the motor). My EFI is using one. I will use the other. It is an M12 x 1.5 o-ring fitting. Classic shows a metric 12 mm temp sender. I will call tomorrow and verify that it is the right size sender.

I will post pics in my build thread when I get everything straight and can install this stuff.

I will also need an appropriate T-fitting to read oil temp off the outboard line heading to the oil cooler that I am getting ready to start setting up. More on that in the build thread too.

Thanks for the info in the PM Chuck! Your build thread is a huge inspiration! -J.

Back