917 style seats

I'm struggling to find detailed information on the 917 seating system. All I know is that the 'bucket' was of a fixed size and each driver would have his own insert to sit on, covered in a red material ( fabric ? suede ? )

Does anyone have a link to a description and\or pictures of how this was all constructed ?

The reason I want to know is I'm thinking of building a reproduction 917 style seat ( not an exact replica ) as part of my next project - which I have decided won't actually be a car.....
I want to trial some of the new skills I need to develop in order to build a real car by first making a cockpit for a PC driving sim. Perhaps I'll build a few, as I think there might be a limited market for such a thing.

If anyone can help out with information I'll be very grateful.

these are real, enjoy

Attachments

• 917 021 (26).jpg
    917 021 (26).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 383
  • 917 021 (360).jpg
    917 021 (360).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 917 021 (359).jpg
    917 021 (359).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 341
Sid, if you are in Suffolk you can come and see the seats in the flesh and try one for size. The passenger seat is going to be tight though because they are much smaller for weight saving and were only there to comply with the original regulations.I don,t use mine to save weight and give better access. They were not all covered in red suede and came out of the factory as bare fibreglass, and for and aft adjustment was by pulling out a release pin and sliding along two oval sectioned tubes. Simple, light and very comfortable.

I might take you up on that, cheers ( I'll have to figure out how I'm going to get from Derbyshire to Suffolk first though ). I could take some basic dimensions then from your car.

What I'm intending to build initially is a small run of 1960's sports prototype style cockpits for computer sim racing enthusiasts. Space won't be a problem because to keep the cockpit size manageable I'll only reproduce the drivers side - entry and exit will be easy then. It will allow me to practise some new skills and hopefully bring a little money in to go towards a real build.

Back