Alternator woes

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I can see that this is going to be another dumb question, but I am having problems with charging.

Having had the alternator checked it is failing on "Ripple too big" - unfortunately no value given.
Having stripped the alternator, i discovered two wires were not attached to the rectifier - so I soldered them back on - it still failed with "Ripple too big".
Having obtained replacement Rectifier (and regulator) - fitted them and, yup, you guessed it - it fails - "Ripple too big". Could this be a stator problem? If it is - no-one wants to look at it :(. The local Auto sparks just want to replace............. which brings me to the second problem.

It has a label on it stating "LRA177", having ordered another, it isnt the same :(. I have taken some advice and had this reply.
"It is not a LRA 177 as its the opposite hand and has incorrect connections. It is possible to swap the front over (lots of people used to do it) but its all to easy to damage the reg. The label looks like a recon and return label which means that it may not be a LRA 177 but a unit that uses the same price band (we used to do that a lot at Delco to make pricing "one off " jobs easier). It looks like a DRA3457, the clue is in the LUCAS number (not the aftermarket LRA number) - 23869 on the label.

So my question(s) are..

What Alternators do you guys use on a Ford302?
Is there a "standard" alternator?
Is it worth fixing mine (stator??) or just buying a recond' or new one?

Any help appreciated.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Richard I know some people will have a fit over this but I use GM one wire in all my cars, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Renault, and GT40. No external regulators and just the BAT connection and a wire for the idiot light. They are very easy to find and cheap.

Ron Earp

Admin
Richard I know some people will have a fit over this but I use GM one wire in all my cars, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Renault, and GT40. No external regulators and just the BAT connection and a wire for the idiot light. They are very easy to find and cheap.

I do the same. Datsun, Ford, Triumph, RCR Lola - all get the one wire 10si GM unit. The GM 10si is about as close to a universal alternator that exists. I'm sure you'll be able to make it fit - a few washers here or there for spacers and you'll have it on.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thanks guys.
The one I have is a one-wire (well two i spose), as you have described. I am reluctant to change the alternator for a different type, tho as this one has machined bushes and collars made up as part of the fixing bracketry, and I dont want to have redesign all of that if I can avoid it, to make the pulley line up properly:eek:.
the one that had been suggested - the DRA3457 - seems to be the "standard" fit on Land Rover/ Range Rover 1-3.5L for the years 1976-1985, which I find intrigueing. I suppose I need to try and "borrow" one, to see if it will fit?

Back