The Bathurst 1000

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Australia's premier two make motor racing event --for the serious tappet head spectator. (who are now only allowed half a ute load of beer instead of the full ute load as previous)
Two days of grueling dueling up hill and down dale by some hotted up family sedan Fords and GM product--- so the team that spends his entry fee the quickest wins.
Car'n 'a Fords

Flatchat, I'm old enough to have watched the early years of Bathurst, and have black and white photos to prove it. In my opinion, the original concept was the best; taking virtually stock, showroom cars and lining them up on a race track. See how your standard car, on its standard tyres and brakes, standard suspension, with a standard fuel tank, etc., performs in a long distance race. I agree with adding safety protection for the drivers (roll cage, perhaps foam filled fuel tanks, etc.), but otherwise let them drive standard cars. Of course, this lead to some "special" standard cars, with production runs of Bathurst specials. But I still prefer this concept. Who could forget the years of the little Alfa's with their fantastic handling battling the mighty Ford Falcon GT's with their sheer grunt?
We now have imitation family sedans racing wallet to wallet.
My 2c worth,

Dalton

Keith

Flatchat, I'm old enough to have watched the early years of Bathurst, and have black and white photos to prove it. In my opinion, the original concept was the best; taking virtually stock, showroom cars and lining them up on a race track. See how your standard car, on its standard tyres and brakes, standard suspension, with a standard fuel tank, etc., performs in a long distance race. I agree with adding safety protection for the drivers (roll cage, perhaps foam filled fuel tanks, etc.), but otherwise let them drive standard cars. Of course, this lead to some "special" standard cars, with production runs of Bathurst specials. But I still prefer this concept. Who could forget the years of the little Alfa's with their fantastic handling battling the mighty Ford Falcon GT's with their sheer grunt?
We now have imitation family sedans racing wallet to wallet.
My 2c worth,

Dalton

I totally agree mate. I have been a fan of the Bathhurst for many years and right now, although it's still pretty exciting in parts, the event has become a pit passing procession (can anyone say F1?).

Ever since they "equalised" the suspensions on the 2 makes it's gone downhill and taken the whole series with it. Never been a fan of silhouette racing..

Now I like watching the lower order (but far more interesting) NZ series...

Spot on Dalton.
I haven't watched Bathurst for years. It used to be a family tradition. I miss it.

The 24 hour was looking like it might be able to revive something of the old spirit but that flame died pretty quickly. Letting the 427 sports-sedan into the race was a terrible mistake for a start.
BTW I was speaking recently to a well known driver who has won the event more than once and he secretly agrees with the sentiment expressed here, on Bathurst and V8 "Supercars" in general.

Tim.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Right on the money Dalton, Bathurst has gone the road of F1, it's like today's milk, pasteurised, homogenised, low fat and without any appeal.
Anyone who watched the "mountain masters classic" which was a lead up race would have seen what we are talking about. Mustangs, Falcons and Torana XU1's fighting for traction and race position, real paint swapping door banging motor sport.
Or maybe I'm just an old fart?
YouTube - Bathurst Historic Touring Cars [2003]

Last edited:
Im on your team Pete.I have a friend that runs a 1600cc Lotus Cortina that is as light as,pushes over 160BHP at the back wheels and holds several lap records.Great to see it nipping at the back of Mustangs and Camaros and getting up the inside.Real racing.David and Goliath stuff.The V8 Supercars will be virtually a 1 make series next year with Holden fielding some 20 cars in a 32 car field. It has become boring,run by morons mimicking Bernie and no longer has the appeal that it once enjoyed.$$$$$s talk. I hear Holden paid $5M for the Vodafone team only to have its current team flog them on the weekend and Stone Bros havent won since Marcus Ambrose.Historic Racing is great,a hand full to drive as the tyres go off after a few laps and lots of sideways action.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
It already is a "one make series", the origin of the engine being the only real difference

The rumour I hear is that 888 changed under pressure sweetened by a few dollars as they are the GM " factory" team with vauxhalls in the UK.

Keith

It already is a "one make series", the origin of the engine being the only real difference

The rumour I hear is that 888 changed under pressure sweetened by a few dollars as they are the GM " factory" team with vauxhalls in the UK.

I think they bought the team licence as it was the only one available. I couldn't work it out either - talk about split loyalties, but maybe they were just learning about the 'opposition'!

Derek Warwicks outfit has been very sucessful with Vauxhaull for the last 10 years in UK, but I will bet there'll not be a lot of money for racing them now that Opel (Vauxhall) have been sold on from GM. However, GM now have the Chevrolet brand doing well in British Touring car so they won't need 888 any more.

Perhaps that's the reason they switched brands in Oz?

Hi guys, Can I put my $2 worth in here. I watched the race this weekend and thought it was one of the best final 20 laps I have ever watched at Bathurst. You would have to agree, those top 6 cars were going for it at the line and it is one of the closest (Non Staged) finish's ever. That being said, I'm in full agreement with what you are saying about the 2 make concept. I believe the best years of "The Great Race" finished when they went to the 2 make format, BUT!!! that was what the Aussie fans wanted, they did not like seeing there Beloved Holdens and Falcons getting their Butts kicked by Jappers, Beamers and Sierra's so they stopped going and the Motor sport Bosses in OZ had little choice.

I have heard that part of the reason for 888 changing to GM next year was in part Ford's doing, Ford are insisting on the Teams carrying "X %" of the companys "Blue and White" colours on the cars, Vodafone were not prepared to do this and would take their money where this wasn't going to be the case. So in efect it sounds like 888 had little choice. But look at the finish line up and it might make good sence, Sorry Mr Ford!!!!. Cheers leonmac.

Leon,
Ford Aust. sent out an Official letter to the teams they currently sponsor on the reasons why they severed the arrangement with 888 Racing and I will try and find and post to support this post.Basically 888 refused to toe the line on Ford Corporate colours previously contracturally agreed to by 888 in their sponsorship arrangement with the Ford Motor Company.Then their drivers turned up at an official Ford release and promo in red and white race suits when being asked prior not to and other Ford drivers in blue and white race suits had to be found in a hurry to drive the press around.Other than the shape of the car 888 refused to fly the Ford colours or windscreen/grille logo when being "paid to".They were left with no option.Personally I would like Ford to get out of V8 Supercars,a total wank for that company and waste of money as by 2012 without any further injection of money by Ford or involvement by other manufacturers it may as well be a HQ Holden series.Whingecup and Lowlowndes (sorry bout spelling) may well have burnt their bridges for any future driving endeavours except with Holden GMH (Government Monetary Holdings).Ford in their letter also noted their personal disappointment in Lowndes stating they had provided him with financial benefits and support for more than 8 years. Cheers.

Hi Chris, I knew it was to do with the Company Colours but I thought it was Vodafone not the Team its self, being in OZ you would get more of the story than we over this side of the ditch. Thanks for the info.
Cheers leonmac

Good comments all - totally agree that this years last 20 laps were nail biters. Bathurst 12 hour is still worth a look , and the muscle car masters are the best entertainment going - went to EC for fathers day again this year, best bit of fun going around. Felt really sad for the the Kiwis who crashed :-( really appreciated their coming over again, and hope we showed them a good time.

Back