Advice on going ot Le Mans 2010

Hey Guys:

I am thinking about going with my brothers and father to Le Mans in June. I assume some of you have been. I am looking for the 5 star type of experience. Can anyone recommend a tour company or tell me what they did?

Thanks

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Seth

Firstly I'd say you're going to the wroong event as the Classic Le Mans is in July 9 -12th

But from my experience and dealing with people Grand Stand Motorsport do a very good job looking after people

E mail Diane on
[email protected]

Shell advise what is available - tell her Ian fom the GT40s sent you and make sure you specify which Le Mans event as there are 2 next year

Ian

This is posted under Worldwide GT40 events which (as noted above) surely in Le Mans terms means the Classic in July to which I hope to return in 2010

Goodwood also has two events Revival & Festival - July & September - at both of which there is usually GT40 presence - July is better for getting close to the cars - September is the circuit racing festival

I did mean the June Le Mans, but since there was no category for hey I have a question, I posted it here.

I was referring to the July Goodwood. Really torn between the two events (Le Mans or Goodwood). I really do hate camping.

In my opinion, if you're not camping, you're not really going to Le Mans. :tongue2:

I've done Le Mans (and Le Mans Classic) about ten times now; twice I stayed in a hotel (because I was travelling with somebody who didn't want to deal with camping) and it was a real nuisance. There were no hotels available anywhere near the track, and we were driving 45 minutes each way, fighting our way through traffic etc.

Plus we were missing out an essential element of the Le Mans experience. It's like Woodstock.

Having said that, the hooligans at Le Mans have grown rather unpleasant in recent years. They tend to gravitate towards certain places, so they're easily avoided, but they are starting to spoil what was a really wonderful boys weekend away. Le Mans Classic is so much more low-key, and the hooligans don't seem to have discovered it yet, thankfully.

IMHO there's no comparison between the two July festivals.
The Le Mans Classic outshines the Goodwood Festival of Speed to the extent that we scrub the Club's stand at Goodwood to go to Le Mans on the same weekend. Virtually all Club members with cars make a point of attending.
If you have a car-mad 12 year old, the Festival of Speed is ideal, because that's the age group it's aimed at - IMHO.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There are seven social events in the year that many of us as Brits try to take in each year. Six of them are in England and the seventh
is the 24hr Du Le Mans. Next year , 2010, is the 78th running of this
event and in spite of what some people say, I think, IMHO, it is head and shoulders over every other motor race event worldwide. It is an endurance race of 24 hours and takes 5 days to complete. It is also a habit forming drug that once it bites, you are doomed to go there time and time again. You will be making the trip to the 24hr du Le Mans for as long as you physically can. Why is this and why does it not happen anywhere else?
Beats me but I have made so many really good friends and I relish the thought of meeting them again in 2010. The race goes on throughout the 'very social' times on Saturday and Sunday along with the antisocial times throughout Saturday night.It is not just the endurance of the teams but you as a spectator as well.
If you are a petrol head and have never been to this race, it is compulsary to do it.
There are so many ways of doing it - camping being the most popular amongst many of the Brits - but camping has changed a great deal since I tried it as weakling Wolf Cub - and many of the so called tents are nowadays quite luxurious.
If you are planning on attending, email me on [email protected] and I might be able to give you a few pointers.
Dave

Another thing to consider is that much as I (maybe 12 yr old in mind if not body !) love going to Goodwood in July its very much a one day experience whereas either Le Mans event is several days long - if you love GT40's then go to Classic in July and stay at a nearby Chateau such as Château Hôtel de la Barre - Guest in French Château - Exclusive Stay in French Castle - many get full early - another option is to try to book online one of the accor but they too are probably already booked http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/reservation/liste_hotels.shtml

Back