Sandown Historic Race Weekend, Melbourne

G’day everyone,

This weekend is the Sandown Historic Race Weekend.

Here’s a link with the details for anyone who’s interested.

Victorian Historic Racing Register

There is going to be a very quick RF in a speed comparison display as well as a static display of some outstanding vehicles. The blokes from RF have put together a rolling chassis to give those who aren’t familiar with these vehicles an “up close and personal look” of what’s under the skin.

The chassis that will be on display will be the first one fitted with the new Boss, twin throttle body plenum chamber as well as a few other new things such as VDO gauges that have Smiths' fascias fitted, so not only do they look good, they actually work.

I was fortunate enough to take a few snaps of the display chassis, although, I’m sure that there will be a few more things added to it before the weekend.

Enjoy the pics.

Cheers,
Danny

rsz_dscn5928.jpg

rsz_dscn5930.jpg

rsz_picture_027.jpg

rsz_picture_029.jpg

rsz_picture_035.jpg

rsz_picture_038.jpg

Looks great!
Wish I could get to Sandown...

Perhaps RF could market the car as depicted and call it the RF Atom... :)

Tim.

Thanks Tim and Gus,

the display was already attracting a lot of interest on the Friday practice/set up so we expect a fair crowd around it today and Sunday.

This engine is supercharged as a number of clients are chasing the newer Ford GT powerplant (5.4 S/C) in the '60s body style so here it is. A few are in build now with 373kW (500ish hp) all ADR emissions compliant, the main challenge being moving the plenum to fit it all under the rear window.

We'll post some pics taken at Sandown during the week,

Regards Paul

Here’s a few pics from Saturday at Sandown.

The blokes from RF put on a great display that attracted a great deal of interest, even Sir Jack Brabham stopped in for a look and was keen to check out the latest developments on the RF chassis.

I’ll post up a few more pics later.

Cheers,
Danny

CopyofPicture034.jpg

CopyofPicture043.jpg

CopyofPicture042.jpg

CopyofPicture027.jpg

CopyofPicture028.jpg

CopyofPicture030.jpg

CopyofPicture015.jpg

CopyofPicture022-1.jpg

CopyofPicture016.jpg

I see the 'honourary' RF PR man & Race Demo 'pilot' Mr R Nichol hovering in the background , or is he just getting a good look at & finally coming to grips with the RF suspension layout & how it all works without all the other bits to confuse him..... :)

Yes I missed that Jac,I can see him pink shirt red hat and a possible walking stick.
2nd last pic

Just joking Ross.

Jac even with all the other bits gone don't you think he still looks confused.

What trans are they running, it apears to be input above axle line. I would have thought with such a big engine they would have wanted it to sit as low as possible. I'm no expert on GT40 chassis and its probably the only way to do it, I was just curious. It does look impresive. Cheers Leonmac.

Was awesome to see the GT40s out at Sandown on Sunday. You guys had ALOT of attention!

I have to say that I can't wait to get that chassis into my garage, although I still say, leave all the bits on! Surely it will just be a pain in the ass to take them all off ;) :)

This event is getting TV coverage? Any ideas when?

Hi Troy,

we asked the "organisers" and chanel 10 were there for the Saturday run for RF117 but they muffed the handicap timing and the TV guys weren't impressed as the 3 cars crossed the finish line at different times, so they were reluctant to come back.
On Sunday it was even worse, JB could have passed both cars up the back straight (1/3 of the way through a Sandown lap), the in car footage shows him holding at only 150mph - so even if the TV guys were there I'm not sure we'll get to see it.

I'll post up the in car bits later, and keep you posted.

Cheers PB

"...holding at only 150mph"

That sounds fast enough, but the car actually tapped out at 170mph on the back straight during Friday practice, with Biante cars on the track at the same time (mobile chicanes?)
Quite a bit of kit!

Back