Southern GT strange modification

Martin Gough took his lovely 40 to Southern GT's factory in order to put his car through IVA. Having an empty trailer on the way back he kindly said he would bring my car back. In the time my car was with Mick at Southern, it sprouted a couple of strange appendages on the front and rear suspension, the front one can be seen in the picture.

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to what they are for, (recent visitors to Southern GT excluded.) The reason will hopefully be revealed shortly, if it works!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Training wheels, to keep you off road barriers:embarassed:

So you can flip the body on its side ! --- work can be done top and bottom at the same time :blank: -- that should have the build time then.--- very ingenious:uneasy:

''Martin Gough took his lovely 40 to Southern GT's factory in order to put his car through IVA. Having an empty trailer on the way back he kindly said he would bring my car back. In the time my car was with Mick at Southern, it sprouted a couple of strange appendages on the front and rear suspension, the front one can be seen in the picture.''

mmmmmm Martin Gough came for tea at my house. When I went to check on my GT40 the next day it was missing two front wheels and left on blocks of wood. Has he a fetish for other peoples front wheels????

mmmmmm Martin Gough came for tea at my house. When I went to check on my GT40 the next day it was missing two front wheels and left on blocks of wood. Has he a fetish for other peoples front wheels????[/QUOTE]

He assured me you knew all about it, he didn’t use the old Mike you distract him while I get the wheels routine did he!!!.

Nick - he used his common devious practice of ''Mike! come here and tell John an interesting story''. This did the usual trick of inducing a temporary coma and later, when I was rescusciated it was too late. My wheels were nowhere to be seen

Malcolm

Supporter
:Lol :)

Martin, was at Mick's this morning and saw your car. Nice job. No appendages grown on your car yet.....

Hi,

Well it didn’t go entirely to plan but I got there in the end.

Think I may have upset my neighbour, not sure he appreciated my appendages and the further modifications required for them to work.

Slightly ironic as they were added due to the problems I and 7 others caused him last time when we had no appendages to play with.

Hope to post pictures of appendages in full working order on Sunday

Problem I only have a single garage that already has a car in it and I wanted to build a GT 40.

Solution build a shed in the garden to build the GT40.

Problem, there is only a narrow passage between the houses to get the car down and it has a fairly high fence in the middle.

Solution get a few burley types to carry chassis over fence.

Problem it was quite difficult to get the few burley types co-ordinated, much complaining from few burley types about carrying the weight, slight complaint from neighbour about the length of time it took to extract the chassis from his side of the fence.

Solution ask Southern GT to bolt appendages onto chassis so next time I could push it down my side of fence only.

Problem, width very critical so cut section out of drain pipe to get more width, but I forgot to account for the 1 inch dropped floor panel.

Solution take a stone cutting disc to the offending concrete fence posts and reduce their width by 1 inch.

Problem get caught by neighbour reducing width of aforementioned concrete posts and he didn’t look amused.

Solution keep a low profile for a few weeks.

Attachments

• gt40build 002.jpg
    gt40build 002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 371
  • gt40build 008.jpg
    gt40build 008.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 361
  • camera photos 002.jpg
    camera photos 002.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 402
  • camera photos 003.jpg
    camera photos 003.jpg