help identify dash switches

I have an SPF in my garage and I can't identify all of the switches. I also can't find the switch to toggle between high and low beams. Can someone tell me what the switches do and maybe as a bonus, When I turn the AC controls what do they do? For example first switch clockwise etc.

Thanks,

Dean

One difference might be that somewhere along the way they moved the horn off the left hand dash area (on left hand drive cars) and onto the end of the turn single. I've also heard that not all cars have the same layout for the heater, A/C switches.

On my car the heater controls work like this.

The knob on the far left is temp, counter clockwise (CCW) gets colder, clockwise (CW) hotter.
The middle knob controls the amount of air between the floor and the dash vents. CCW floor, CW vents.
The right hand knob controls the amount of air that goes to the demister (defroster). CCW off, CW full on. I think you will find that unless your car has been fixed that most cars have the defroster tubes crushed in the dash so not much comes out anyway.

Hope that helps, enjoy the ride.

I, for one, would certainly like to relocate my horn button from the dash location. It's too hard to get to quickly. Changing out the turn signal stalk seems like a huge pain, though

One difference might be that somewhere along the way they moved the horn off the left hand dash area (on left hand drive cars) and onto the end of the turn single. I've also heard that not all cars have the same layout for the heater, A/C switches.

On my car the heater controls work like this.

The knob on the far left is temp, counter clockwise (CCW) gets colder, clockwise (CW) hotter.
The middle knob controls the amount of air between the floor and the dash vents. CCW floor, CW vents.
The right hand knob controls the amount of air that goes to the demister (defroster). CCW off, CW full on. I think you will find that unless your car has been fixed that most cars have the defroster tubes crushed in the dash so not much comes out anyway.

Hope that helps, enjoy the ride.

I, for one, would certainly like to relocate my horn button from the dash location. It's too hard to get to quickly. Changing out the turn signal stalk seems like a huge pain, though

Who needs a horn? Just dip the clutch, and blip the throttle to 6000 rpm!

Then watch the traffic part like the Red Sea. :laugh:

If you were really crafty maybe you could use the GT40 button in the middle of the steering wheel. What a concept, a button in the middle of the steering wheel for the horn! I wounder how hard that would be, hmmmm. Now it's going to drive me crazy until I get home and have a look see.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Dean,

Contact me and i'll forward the SPF owners manual/wire diagrams to you.

The high/low beam control is the turn signal stalk, flick back and forth for selection.
Rick

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
A little thought, the rheostats in the door (3 of them) are all the same, if you have one that is not in the position its suppose to be all you have to do is change the plugs in the back. When I got my car the floor to dash was backward and also the recirculation switch was backwards. In order to correct this all you have to do is swap the two wires on the servo motor.

It seems as if my dash vents are always on and the demister is never on, although it does change temperature when it is turned on so the pipes must be crushed. Also, I seem to be having some difficulty turn on the recirculation and the AC. Any thought on this? I thought it was working in the garage but last night on the way home I couldn't get the switches to light up. The only difference was the lights were on.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Dean if the demister to floor rheostat is not working its more than likely the plug on the unit not the rheostat. The plug is a bear to get to but its just next to the second blower motor up underneath the dash. One way to get to it is take the front clip off and the metal panel adjacent to the brake clutch reservoirs. Its under that panel. Its a small white plug if I remember.

Back