Tools/Shop

I hope this is the right place to post this: The Kiwi Scratch build has got me eager to do a GT40. What I'd like to ask is what would be the minimum shop set up required and the same for tools/equipment. I have a two bay garage, compressor, a decent set of Craftsman tools - (all drives and just about anything you could need) - belt sander, disk sander, MIG welder, cut-off saw, drill press, side grinder w/cut-off capabilities, drill, bench grinder, jig saw, hand drills, etc... The reason I'm asking is that I've seen pictures of some of the shops where you guys are working on your cars and most of them look like a regular pit stop or professional garage. With what I've mentioned here, can anyone think of anything else I need to make sure I have? Let's say I want to scratch build a "spaceframe", or if I bought a "spaceframe", would this be enough?
Thanks

Mark,

Perhaps a Rotozip may be handier than the jigsaw. Engine stand and cherry-picker, wheel dollies, floor jack(s) and stands, plenty of workbench area and storage racks for parts.

I would say you have plenty to build your own spaceframe there, In the states where you have outfits like Colemans & Pitstop USA to source all the small bits like threaded tube ends etc to fabricate w/bones etc the need for a lathe is not really on the list. A drill/mill might be handy if you can find one ( even trade your drill press on one ).

Put it this way, it would be possible to build a spaceframe with a -Mig, Drill Press, 4" grinder with cut-off discs, Two 8' long pieces of RSJ or RHS in a large size + a few bits of steel scrap on a solid base & a couple of dozen G-Clamps, spirit level, & tape measure.....plus a lot of patience & time on this site looking @ previous posts,...... looks like your over equipped...:)

The only thing I could add to your list would be a sheet metal brake if you can find a good used one. Amazing what you can do without it though!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Best tools I have (the roll around wooden things the car is sitting on).

Attachments

• HPIM0613.JPG
    HPIM0613.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Mark, I,m doing my scratch built M20 with prettymuch what you have, Less the drill press. I do have access to a machine shop for the Lathe etc and I,m sure if you ask around you'd be suprised who would be willing to help with that sought of thing when you tell them what your building. Russ is real lucky, He has Lim with access and skill to burn for the Machining Duties. Cheers Leonmac

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A very good pair of safety goggles and a quality mask. I got really lucky one day - and not wearing goggles - when a cooling fan became came detached. Maybe smoke detector, a CO2, and a dry powder extinguisher as well. If you've ever been involved in a fire, you'll have these last two all over the place. You can always stop the detector if you are deliberateley causing smoke such as welding or engine runs.

A very good pair of safety goggles and a quality mask. I got really lucky one day - and not wearing goggles - when a cooling fan became came detached. Maybe smoke detector, a CO2, and a dry powder extinguisher as well. If you've ever been involved in a fire, you'll have these last two all over the place. You can always stop the detector if you are deliberateley causing smoke such as welding or engine runs.

+1 on the goggles. I still have both eyes because I was wearing them when a tap snapped.

Good safety equipment is a MUST!
Saftey glasses, particle masks, fire extinguisher (not buried in stuff), etc. are very necessary items, and I do consider them "tools" as well.

Mark
Cut off saw is noisy and sparky ( dangerous and also the noise may upset your neighbor) especially if you are working late at night, so I suggest linisher and a band saw.
I normally do not do any grinding or welding about an hour before I leave my garage for safety purpose.
Lim

Back