Intro and fuel question

Hi guys
im steve from herts and
just bought a 1988 hightec replica in gulf colours with a 5.7 chevy lump.
Be gentle with me as im used to turbo engines.
First stupid question.
What goes in the tank.
Thankyou in advance

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Steve...

As my primary flight instructor hammered into my young and thick skull -
There are no such things as stupid questions - only stupid mistakes... :)

I'd definitely endeavor to learn the specs on your 5.7 engine as well as recommended fuel and oil - but in he meanwhile, I would find the highest octane fuel around and go relatively easy on it..

Post up some pictures of your new ride to share with us!

Steve

I would actually take the opposite route recommended by Randy (no offense, Randy). I would start with low octane and only go up if you have detonation problems. Unless your engine has a high compression ratio (say, 11:1 or higher) or forced induction, you probably won't need high octane. Unless you have detonation problems with low octane fuel, you're just wasting money with high octane. I run low octane in my 12:1 Harley and my dad runs low octane in his supercharged Bonneville. In both cases, high octane is recommended or "required" by the manufactuer, but neither has problems on low octane. Then again, neither is being raced.

Randy is on track about the spec's. Find out what you have. You will eventually need to know.

Eric

S Gilmour, as your from the UK, & since you guys rate octane values a bit different to the USA it would be unwise to take their advice without a certain amount of 'Lead'.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Agreed Jack, but I think Steve is correct by saying try the low octane first. Just enought to drive a couple of miles, if it pings/detonates go to a higher octane.
Oops, I forgot to say welcome, so welcome have fun.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Lead or no lead - I'd still put the higher octane rated fuel in it while in the hunt for the specs of the engine.

The only way I would sit still for putting the lower octane in, would be if a compression test yielded a cranking pressure below 180 PSI - and still you'll be taking chances.

Some engines do not weather detonation well at all. Small block Chevy engines seem to tolerate it with only marginal damage (bearings and ring lands eventually). Engines like the Small block Ford 289 and 302 both have shown a propensity to just blow a head gasket at the first sign of detonation.

...and remember too - you can't always hear detonation.

So - I'll move this thread to the appropriate area and leave a reference to it in the Introduction forum.

Back