production change history?

Is there a list somewhere showing what productions changes occurred over the years by chassis number (or by date)? I'm considering buying an SPF MkII, but when I read various posts of problems, I wonder if some of those problems may have have been fixed in later production.

Sorry there isn't a list that I know of. I have 2197 and the only major issue I had was the amp meter wiring problem which I fixed with a volt meter.

One more thing to consider. Its my understanding that they aren't / weren't necessarily produced in the same order as the chassis numbers.

John

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
One more thing to consider. Its my understanding that they aren't / weren't necessarily produced in the same order as the chassis numbers.

John

John,

That is correct. The numbering was assigned at schedule time, the actuall production could vary by several months.

There have been some updates and improvements in the GT chassis' since the first cars, however there are no truly major differences and nothing that a well informed dealer cannot attend to. If you can purchase a chassis at at price point that you are comfortable with, I would not let the production date stop me.

Everything above is correct but I'd like to add that if you're really concerned with where a particular car falls in the sequence look behind the removeable panel just behind the right front tire. There will be a stamped number just inside which will actually give you the true chassis number IIRC. I had pull the panel and take down the number about a year ago to identify a warranty issue.

Rich.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
There have been some updates and improvements in the GT chassis' since the first cars, however there are no truly major differences and nothing that a well informed dealer cannot attend to. If you can purchase a chassis at at price point that you are comfortable with, I would not let the production date stop me.

Personally I'm not so concerned about being "stopped" as I am about knowing what outstanding issues I should attend to (no dealers please, I work on my own cars).

Rick, can you or anyone supply even an off-the-top-of-the-head list of issues that were found and resolved (or not resolved) over the lifetime so far? For example in browsing the forum (and I'm not done yet) I have seen multiple citations of wheel bearing problems, "ammeter" problems (or a badly designed wiring harness), etc. What else has happened to more than one customer and/or called for a running change in production? I'll be happy to compile the responses into a centralized document.

TIA, Alan Watkins

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The changes on the GT have been mostly evolutionary and to address issues that have cropped up. Most have been production assembly type items, i.e. making sure the A/C duct soft tubes are not crushed during instrument panel installation, some wire harness install "goofs" (that are found IF the dealer does a full chassis prep, i.e. hooking up power to a roller and testing all circuits) and the weathersealing improvements that have been made. These are the steering shaft to tub seal and the weatherstrip "blocks" at the bottom of the "A" pillars, etc. Again, nothing that can't be done to an early chassis.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The changes on the GT have been mostly evolutionary and to address issues that have cropped up. Most have been production assembly type items, i.e. making sure the A/C duct soft tubes are not crushed during instrument panel installation, some wire harness install "goofs" (that are found IF the dealer does a full chassis prep, i.e. hooking up power to a roller and testing all circuits) and the weathersealing improvements that have been made. These are the steering shaft to tub seal and the weatherstrip "blocks" at the bottom of the "A" pillars, etc. Again, nothing that can't be done to an early chassis.

Rick --

You've noted a couple examples, but clearly there are more that you know about but aren't specifically mentioning. You say, "nothing that can't be done to an early chassis." If I don't know that any particular improvement was made, I can't very well do anything about it, can I? Seems to me having that information out there helps everyone. Is there an reason you can't just list them all?

Thanks,

Alan Watkins

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick --

Is there an reason you can't just list them all?

Thanks,

Alan Watkins

As some of the "changes" are not known to us, we cannot list them all. I am aware of some factory changes however there are also many done by dealers/customers to address specific items or concerns. For example if chassis "X" had a fuel pump ground wire problem and no others did, the factory would not make a change, the dealer/installer would address the concern.

Can I ask if Jim Freeman, the original poster, and AWatkins are the same person?

No we are not the same person. Alan is a friend of mine. I'm interested in buying an SPF, and I discussed the change history issue with him offline before I started this thread. That's why we're both interested in this subject.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Can I ask if Jim Freeman, the original poster, and AWatkins are the same person?
Strange question but no. Actually, in the spirit of the thread Jim and I are very similar. We're often confused. Jim's had more running changes than I so he works better.

By the way I'm thinking seriously about acquiring a GT-40 as well; I'm not here just out of charity, in case that's what you thought. :)

Last edited:
Back