Full flow AN fuel filters

Let's say you're using a 150gph external electric Holley billet fuel pump.

Before it i've got a 40micron fuel filter

Summit Racing SUM-230104 - Summit Racing® Full Flow Fuel Filters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Is it a good idea to also have a fuel filter after the pump as well? If so, what is the ideal microns to use? 10? 40? 100?

On my cobra I was going to put one after the pump, but got all confused as everybody had different ideas (i.e., no need for it, don't use too small a micron or you'll restrict flow, don't use too large or it's a waste), etc...

Attachments

• img-178-1-large.jpg
    img-178-1-large.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 230
If you use 10micron though, if something gets by the pump won't it rapidly clog up the filter because of how tight the filtration is?

Although I suppose it's better to clog it up than to get it into the carb, heh.

If you use 10micron though, if something gets by the pump won't it rapidly clog up the filter because of how tight the filtration is?

Although I suppose it's better to clog it up than to get it into the carb, heh.

exactly :thumbsup:

TOM

If the second filter got clogged and stuck, how would you know? A drop in the fuel pressure? (e.g., going from 7psi to 4psi without explanation for example)?

Hi Alex

regular maintenance. In the beginning a little more frequent as it is likely that not all debris from the car building was flushed out perfectly.

you probably see a pressure drop as soon the fuel demand is higher than the dlivery, but not before.

How didi you plan to check your prefilter anyway ?

TOM

HI ALEX

check out this one of my posts

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/24525-toms-rcr-40-trackracer-17.html#post280547

the 100 micron prefilter has a washable stainless stell filter element
the 10 micron has a replacable filter element
check the aeromotive site for flowrates and pressure drop. Pretty good stuff

TOM

I was just studying your post, and was curious what type of clamps you're using on your fuel filters to secure them to the frame? Thanks.

Nevermind; found it; areomotive fuel clamp. Damn, that's expensive - 70 for a clamp!

Btw, can anybody explain why my pre-pump 40micron filter has a circumfrance of 2.5ish, whereas my post-pump 10micron filter is 6.3 in circumfrance? I figured that the larger circumfrance would belong to the filter with the higher filtration, not the lower filtration?

Nevermind; found it; areomotive fuel clamp. Damn, that's expensive - 70 for a clamp!

Btw, can anybody explain why my pre-pump 40micron filter has a circumfrance of 2.5ish, whereas my post-pump 10micron filter is 6.3 in circumfrance? I figured that the larger circumfrance would belong to the filter with the higher filtration, not the lower filtration?

It is, the finer filter (10 micron ) needs more filter area to flow the same amount of fuel without causing a greater pressure drop.

Back