More Difficult Questions Needed....

Ron Earp

Admin
It looks like the spammers can easily answer one of the three questions that we have in place to fool Spambots on the registration page. Right now we have:

<table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="alt1"><td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">1</td> <td class="smallfont" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">
user_online.gif
Type the caPital letterS in this Sentence.</td> <td class="smallfont" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">TPSS</td> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">Edit</td> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap"><input name="armultibit[4]" value="4" type="checkbox"></td> </tr> <tr class="alt2"> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">2</td> <td class="smallfont" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">
user_online.gif
How many inches tall is the Ford GT40 race car?</td> <td class="smallfont" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">40</td> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">Edit</td> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap"><input name="armultibit[5]" value="5" type="checkbox"></td> </tr> <tr class="alt1"> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">3</td> <td class="smallfont" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">
user_online.gif
The GT40 is associated with which large US automaker?</td> <td class="smallfont" align="left" nowrap="nowrap">Ford</td> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">Edit</td> <td class="smallfont" align="center" nowrap="nowrap"><input name="armultibit[6]" value="6" type="checkbox"></td></tr></tbody></table>
One of these questions is shown to the person when they try to register. It is essentially a way to foil non-reading spambots, but apparently the spammers are using various means to get humans to read them. Now we need more difficult questions.

We need are a few questions that car enthusiasts all over the world would know. Any suggestions?

Ron

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
I would suggest some form of question with regard to the workings of a typ V8 or maybe a GT40 trivia question.

Pete

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
"What is Mark IV's favorite St. Emilion?" Ans: Chateau Monbousquet, but I can no longer afford it.........

Ron,

This is s tough one, there has been a TON of "I-Phone video convertor" spam on the site lately. The problem is the more you "weasel-proof" the site, the more sophisticated the weasels become! Rather like overusing antibiotics, you only create drug resistant bugs.

That said, I don't think you should abandon the site to the wankers who profit off the works of others selling knock-off crap and stealing online identities.

How many legit registrations do you get a day? Would it be possible to vet all potential "members" by enforcing a manual review before they get let loose on the site? I have no real idea how this stuff really works (I believe a little guy inside my screen draws the images on the glass, so that is my level of Luddite membership) but it would be nice to keep these creeps off the site.

Ron Earp

Admin
How many legit registrations do you get a day? Would it be possible to vet all potential "members" by enforcing a manual review before they get let loose on the site? I have no real idea how this stuff really works (I believe a little guy inside my screen draws the images on the glass, so that is my level of Luddite membership) but it would be nice to keep these creeps off the site.

Too many. Average around eight to ten a day. I just don't care to go in and click "okay" that many times a day. I bet with some clever questions we could knock this out. Can't be something someone can simply look up with one Google Search like "What is the capital of Iowa?" but the info needs to be accessible for those that need to find it to join. There needs to be some sort of potential energy barrier to joining the site.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
What about having an interesting but longish article about GT40 history, or whatever, that is compulsory reading and then base the questions on some trivia contained therein, phrased in such a way that it is not easily searchable?

For instance have a question that doesn't use any key words contained in the text or maybe you could have the article set so that it is unable to be searched by a search engine. I don't know whether it is possible to do that or not?

Genuine enthusiasts won't mind reading such an article, in fact might be quite interested to have a basic condensed GT40 101, particularly when it is explained that it is designed to attempt to preserve the integrity of the site. I know shortly after I joined I had to do a search to see what the often mentioned 1075 was! This sort of basic info spammers may not want to waste their time reading through and may go off to hit somewhere easier. Just a thought, maybe totally impractical, and someone would have to write the article too....Or maybe you could use an existing article and add the trivia into it?

Ron Earp

Admin
I like this one:

The GT40 is associated with which large US automaker?

But it is a bit too easy. The other two are far too easy. Not possible on a text to read first so we're going to need questions a gearhead will know but a spammer in India won't know and won't find easily.

The Ford GT40 engine has how many camshafts? (easy to screw up with the GT out there now)

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Anything with a numeric answer isn't fail safe. Perhaps spelling out the number (40) "forty" in the answer might help.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
What about having an interesting but longish article about GT40 history, or whatever, that is compulsory reading and then base the questions on some trivia contained therein, phrased in such a way that it is not easily searchable?

For instance have a question that doesn't use any key words contained in the text or maybe you could have the article set so that it is unable to be searched by a search engine. I don't know whether it is possible to do that or not?

Genuine enthusiasts won't mind reading such an article, in fact might be quite interested to have a basic condensed GT40 101, particularly when it is explained that it is designed to attempt to preserve the integrity of the site. I know shortly after I joined I had to do a search to see what the often mentioned 1075 was! This sort of basic info spammers may not want to waste their time reading through and may go off to hit somewhere easier. Just a thought, maybe totally impractical, and someone would have to write the article too....Or maybe you could use an existing article and add the trivia into it?

Like "a GT is 40 inches tall" (as the previewed material may state), but the question asks what is the height in millimeters. This requires some kind of conversion of what was read? I guess this needs to be treated as a thief. Make them spend more time on the spam, and they will go elsewhere.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
What does a chequered flag mean?
What does a red flag mean?
How high is a GT40?

Or maybe,

In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors. In each house lives a person of different nationality. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Who owns the fish?

Clues: The British man lives in a red house. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets. The Danish man drinks tea. The Green house is next to, and on the left of, the white house. The owner of the green house drinks coffee. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill. The man living in the center house drinks milk. The Norwegian lives in the first house. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer. The German smokes Prince. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

Ron Earp

Admin
Who is the most respected authority on GT40s?

No clear answer there.

How long is the moderator's penis?

Answers:

If they know the answer then they definitely don't get registered.

In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors. In each house lives a person of different nationality. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

Who owns the fish?

Clues: The British man lives in a red house. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets. The Danish man drinks tea. The Green house is next to, and on the left of, the white house. The owner of the green house drinks coffee. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill. The man living in the center house drinks milk. The Norwegian lives in the first house. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer. The German smokes Prince. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.

Hell Pete, we've got members now who can't answer that one, do they get kicked?

What motor did the GT40 MK2 have? 351W, 427, 426 himi.

Well if current trends are any indication it is looking like a 427W is the MKII flavor of choice.

What is Lemoncello and who has the best recipe?

As for the "how long is the moderators penis" question my guess was 30 seconds but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Tim.

Last edited:
Back