black magic?

Hi, I have removed my waterpump and found this black stuff inside the pump and cilinderhead does anybody have an idea what it is (I have seen the engine running for 5 min but have no history) it is hard but easy to remove exept I can not get deep into the engine to remove all

Attachments

• IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 333

Keith

Saw the inside of a motor once that had similar deposits and I think it may have been in a fire or had gotten rather hot! Is the material tactile or rock hard?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's my guess.

Engine overheated (water leak?), blew head gasket, cracked head, block, or worse. Oil then mixed with what was left of water, remaining water boiled off, oil now left to burn up and turn into black goo.

Any bad parts there to add to mystery?

Looks to me like corrosion of the pump impeller, there is no black stuff in the pump outlet passage. How do the water passages on the block look? is the black stuff in there too?

How do the water passages on the block look? is the black stuff in there too?
yes a bit, but I have already removed most of it, and I think a good steam cleaning will do the rest, no water in the oil and the oil looked good, no other parts "infected" and have not seen a damaged head gasket, maybe it is a magic pil to "repair" a radiator. I will clean the block and head tomorrow so I can test if it is not bend.

"Looks to me like corrosion of the pump impeller" don't think so, because I have removed the black stuff from the impeller and it looks good. during pump removal plenty of water came out of the head and te rest of the water system is clean, thermostatic and elbow clean as well. non of this stuff inside the turbo (water cooled) so still a mistery
thanks, rick

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Only 3 things I know of that will cause Black Deposits in a water system like this;
1) Silver
2) Copper
3) Bacteria / mold

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Ah ha, I've seen that before, but it grossed me out so I took a photo to document my grossed-outedness, and then went on with the project. All on a car with 5 miles on the odometer:

standard.jpg

Back