Stunning footage!

I came across the following website and think many of you will enjoy its contents. I'll apologize in advance if its already been mentioned on this site before but in all my travels through the GT40 forum I've yet to see it mentioned. The site is: www.motorator.com

Once you get to the site go to the search feature and type in Ferodo. It should bring you to two clips of about 15 minutes each so grab a cup of tea or coffee and sit back and enjoy. For the 917 guys theres also a couple of nice clips. I believe I typed in 917 in the search engine and up popped "917 A year to remember"

I think this is the first time I've heard John Wyer speak and was surprised to hear what a proper English gentleman he was. He doesn't present himself as the kind of guy you would think would run two of the greatest racing teams ever. I guess I was expecting someone a bit more rough around the edges....kind of like a brit version of 'ol Shelby. Enjoy!

Egoman, You raise an interesting point about safety that did not go unnoticed. Some of the footage displays almost comical violations with regard to safety. Cars being left all over the track and in the 917 Targa Florio clip I thought I saw a fan just walking around the road as a car raced by. No wonder that race is no longer run!!

Egoman, You raise an interesting point about safety that did not go unnoticed. Some of the footage displays almost comical violations with regard to safety. Cars being left all over the track and in the 917 Targa Florio clip I thought I saw a fan just walking around the road as a car raced by. No wonder that race is no longer run!!

And poor Brian Muir digging out of the sand bank at Mulsanne corner as the other cars roared by... Yikes!

You go Howard! Wow almost ass-packed a couple of those Cobras, aye? <pucker, pucker> A little rough on the down shifts into the last corner good buddy and you were still killing everybody. Boy I'd get myself in trouble as there were tons of opportunity to make a pass and you didn't ....must be the rules or something. I love RF except for the bumps of course. Good show - fun, fun.

You go Howard! Wow almost ass-packed a couple of those Cobras, aye? <pucker, pucker> A little rough on the down shifts into the last corner good buddy and you were still killing everybody. Boy I'd get myself in trouble as there were tons of opportunity to make a pass and you didn't ....must be the rules or something. I love RF except for the bumps of course. Good show - fun, fun.

Yeah, a little heel-and-toe goes a long way, and your gearbox will like you for it. :thumbsup:

I only got to drive Reno-Fernley once, and we drove a better configuration, turning right after the hairpin and esses and going up the hill, then back down for the slip-n-slide. RF instantly became my favorite track to drive in the western USA, and so I'm crushed that it's gone bankrupt and is now closed. :cry:

Oh, and yes, the Ferodo Le Mans video is a must-watch. Even though I'd seen it before, this post forced me to watch it at 1:30 a.m....

i loved the vids......but this is one of those sites that makes you look to see what else is on there!! 2 hrs later, i found myself watching pug's doing pikes peak!!
brilliant site!!

Howard Jones

Supporter
That was a couple of years ago and I was wondering where that video had gotten to. As far as my foot work, I think I may have gotten a little better by just waiting for the down shifts a little longer and using the brakes a lot more. It's a hard peddle setup to H&T anyway.

The WSCB event is really not a true Open track event. It was just what it was billed for. A Westren States Cobra Bash. Long drive through the mountains one day, Car show, and track day the other with three nights of fun in Reno.

A lot of people are running on track for the first time, however none (1st timers had their own group) were in my group. Many of the Cobras in my group are spec Factory fives. They have good center corner speed but the brakes are not as good and have less power. The non Cobras/GT40's/daytona coupes were instructors with ride alongs.

Anyway, I have run a longer course there. A lot of turns and can get busy without a good flow in my opinion. With all of the pavement they have there there ought to be a pretty good layout in there somewhere.

Reno-Fernley Raceway - -

Great Le mans footage, you can surf Youtube forever looking at this stuff. Search skateboard crashes or rally-car wrecks sometime.

Last edited:
Back