Introducing GT40 P2236

Hi everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of P2236, purchased from Olthoff Racing this fall & delivered about a week ago. I couldn't be happier with the car or with the people at Olthoff. If anyone is considering buying a Superformance, my advice is: do it, and buy it from Dennis Olthoff. (This is a genuine, unsolicited endorsement, I promise.)

Olthoff had the Gulf Mk I chassis w/ dual Gurney bubbles in stock, which was fine with me. Engine is the Roush 427 SR w/ TR cams.

Here are some pics of one of the car's first outings:

MobileMe Gallery

I'm in NJ & very much looking forward to getting the car to some events this spring.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Great looking car!

Olthoff Racing prepared my Mk1 as well. I drive mine everyday, and I've had zero problems even though my particular GT40 project was not routine. (Thank you Dennis and Paul).

Jack

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Hello Geoff, I offer to deliver your car but due to bad weather here in Arkansas my trip was postponed, but I am leaving today for NY to pick up a Ferrari motor I bought.

You are correct about Dennis and the boys, not a finer group of mechanics, I think they get as excited to see you get your car as you do getting it. :) That being said I bought a roller and did the work myself. There is a lot to them that is not seen.

Have Fun!, hope to meet you someday.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Amazing how big the Mini looks next to your GT40. Great looking car and could not agree more about Dennis Olthoff.

Thanks! Yeah, the Mini looks like a truck next to the GT40. And driving the car just proves how right Colin Chapman was, with his "add lightness" motto.

Jack, that December weather killed me! The car was delayed a bit, and I had nightmares of salt-crusted roads for weeks. What's your Ferrari engine going to be used for?

Geoff

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I bought a 355 engine a couple months ago, the guy who has it has been very understanding about weather and a few other problems that have popped up. But I am going have it loaded tomorrow night. I agree about the salt, I will wait till we get a good rain before I put mine out on the road. We use dirt and gravel here in Arkansas which is a muddy mess.

thanks Jack, I see indeed its someone else, I thought maybe this guy, he was the EU Superformance dealer but moved to Edgewater Florida? according to their website Sportauto Eshuis BV - For your special car request call us !!

it seems you can still order SPF stuff by their Dutch phone number, they pay the connection to the US, anyway sadly they are gone...their garage was about 40km from were I life.

a, I found his SPF in Florida Herman Eshuis (Dutch guy)

http://www.hermanusa.com/cars.htm

Last edited:
Congratulations on your car Geoff. I agree with the others - that mini looks HUGE when parked beside your car, almost as the the image of the mini has been enlarged or something. Your car looks great.

Regards

Cam
Auckland, NZ

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Geoff

She is a real beauty, I always though that the P1074 Gulf paint with just the stripe in the front was the best!

I know you will love her! I picked up my P2264 last year and I now have over 9,000 miles and I cant wait for it to stop raining so I can add some more!

Happy trails...

Ian, great links on Bob Olthoff, thanks! His GT40 career is also discussed pretty well in Allen & Jones' book "The Ford That Beat Ferrari."

Superformance was pretty lucky/clever to use his knowledge to help develop the cars.

Jim, agree re: this particular 1074-ish Gulf livery. Still very classic but not quite as common as the full orange lower lip. I wasn't sure how the dual Gurney bubbles would end up looking (the car already had them when I bought the chassis), but I've gotten used to them. Besides, at 5'7," I like knowing that I could wear a beanie with a propeller on it, or a Carmen Miranda hat, & still have headroom.

Have a google and you'll find out some fun information about Bob Olthoff

Here's 2 about him in the Capri Perana
Capri Perana
Team Gunston Capri Perana Z181 :: Perana.org

I believe I even watched him drive it in Bulawayo in 1970 or 1971

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Geoff,

I got the two Gurney bubbles as well....

I though they made the roof area look a little crowded, after driving it a while I noted that the top of the doors never touch the eye-brows (I only drive on the street, no very high speed) so I have removed the eye-brows, I think it looks much better. (I just drilled out the rivets, it should be fairly easy to re-install)

Back