Daytona 24 hours

Keith

There doesn't seem to be any interest in DP racing here, but I was quite intrigued with this year's results although to be honest, I never really took to the "Ugly Ducklings" since they were first developed. However, this year I notice an influx of 'foreigners' i.e Porsche motors (winner was a V8 from a Cayenne?) BMW motors 2nd and 3rd and a Ford (Krohn Racing / Lola Ford) in 4th.

It also seems interesting that Roush supplied Ford V8's also filled many of the higher finishers. Apart from Riley chassis which proliferate, there were also 2 'foreign' chassis in Lola (although developed in partnership with US based company) and Dallara. Is this a recent trend or a sudden change?

What I was really surprised about was the highest Chevy engined finisher was a lowly 34th, in spite of all their recent developments of the LS series, and similarly no Pontiacs in sight either.

Seems to be turning into a Porsche BMW and Ford benefit...so all change in the DP series. I shall try to remember to tune in to the rest of the season and see what happens.

Keith, The LS engine can be labeled Chevrolet, Pontiac or Caddy within the rules. With the demise of Pontiac, All LS engine DP cars are now labeled Chevrolet. The Riley Chev that finished 34th was the result of loosing a belt for the oil pump which cooked the engine. This particular car had led the 24 hours several times prior to that and was in contention for the overall victory. It was running 6th overall with about 6 hours to go. With the dictated RPM limits and the 500HP restriction of the 2275 pound car (over 4.0L displacement). The 5.0L V-8 the engine/chassis is very competitive.

Keith

Thanks for the info Jack. The General just had a bad day then! Just unusual to see Ford motors to the fore in this type of racing. I suppose the more diverse makes chassis and motors makes for more interesting racing. Do you happen to know whether the Porsche Cayman V8 is related to the 928 motor?

The Cayenne engine (from what I understand) shares nothing with the 928. It was a new development specific for the Cayenne (not Cayman). The 5.0L V8 unit is not actually constructed by Porsche, but is based on the V8 engine used in the Porsche Cayenne, built by Lozano Bros. Porting. This is a very highly modified engine within the DP rules.

Last edited:
So since Porsche promotes the flat 6 as the race car engine, how is the PR department at Porsche handling the V8 win?

Keith, the Chevy that expired while in 6th place was last years Championship winner using the same engine as last year (only the badging has been changed to Chevy from Pontiac). The engine rules are manipulated to make things "fair" giving every type of engine a chance at winning. A NASCAR event.

The BMW engines are built by Steve Dinan just down the road from us, we knew him when he was a small local tuner beating on doors to get someone to pay attention. Now he's building toys for the bigger boys. Bravo - Good for him.

And you are absolutey correct "Ugly Ducklings", could not agree more.

Let's not forget the GT class... three rotor for the win again!

I see it as the more types of engines and chassis combos they use, the more interesting the racing will be while at the same time catering to a larger spectrum of fans.

Back