windshield wiper/washer needed

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I'm not certain if this ought to go in my build thread or out here, but it will get more views out here, so with that:

I need to find the complete windscreen wiper/washer system for my car. I had a chance at one from another forum member, dragged my feet, and someone else got it (this is my fault and not the seller's, I will point out) We are now close to the point where we will have to fit this stuff, so the search begins in earnest now.

Some things worth mentioning: what I'd really like to find is modern Lucas parts that look like and fit and work like the originals, if that's possible. But I would like to know what's out there for sale, or any information that folks can provide to me about where to find all this. Note that my chassis was built by David Brown and the wiper motor should go in the curved bracket that he welded up in front of the firewall for that purpose.

I would need: the wiper motor, the wiper transmission (wheelbox and tube, or specs for how to make the tube here, which we could do), the toothed rack that goes inside the tube, the wiper arm, the wiper blade and a spec for the rubber that goes on it, the washer motor/bottle assembly, and possibly the bucket mount for the washer bottle that goes in the cover lid to the footwell. I have (courtesy of Andy Booth) the washer nozzle; we just have to drill a hole for it in the metal in front of the windscreen.

Advice, suggestions, slings and arrows all appreciated, as always.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I forgot to add that the Mark I cars (all GT40s, now that I think of it) had only one wiper arm and blade, so the motor has to be able to sweep a rather wide arc; I think it is 120 degrees. Most Lucas motors are not set up to do that, as they are arranged to run multiple wheelboxes and the coverage of the screen is achieved with more than one wiper blade.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'll second Stafford Vehicle components

Tell them it is for a GT40 and they will even fit the correct wheel / cog thing to get the correct sweep

From memory mine cost about £130 in early 2006

If they don'twant to ship to USA please let me know and I can organise it

Ian

Jim,
I have a spare washer kit from Princess Auto that I paid $10.00 CDN. Cost more to mail it to you than what's it's worth. It not Lucas, as for the wiper motor I was going to run an nice marine unit. You can adjust the sweep and set up the park on the blade. This would be a direct drive unit. They start around $65.00. I can taake some pictures of it if you want.
Dave

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't think there's room under there for a direct drive marine unit, on my car. They ARE better quality- they are better weather sealed, and as you say you can adjust the sweep. AFI and Bosch both make good ones. But I should try to duplicate the original fitment on a 1960s GT40 since this car is reasonably close to that and they took the trouble to weld the bracket in for the wiper motor unit.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Incase anyone is interested, this is what
an original MK 1 wiperblade looks like.
I'm afraid they are like buried treasure
these days !

Attachments

• Wiper blade .jpg
    Wiper blade .jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 760

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think with the Mark II cars, but someone may correct me on this. I am fairly sure that the Mark IV cars also had 707 wiper motors. Endurance racing cars had to have functional wiper systems, not only to meet the rules, but also because so many of the race tracks did have rain during the races- LeMans, Spa, Sebring, for example.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This problem appears to be solved; I got most of what I needed from Kirkham Motor Sports. Finish Line Accessories had the switch and the clamp and the plug that goes into the wiper receptacle on the motor. We still need the wiper arm and the proper long blade, but we've made progress. The only thing we had to make up was an aluminum spacer to set the wheelbox into the car.

Back