If You're Spinning, you Ain't Winning!

Ron Earp

Admin
My Young caught red-handed coming out of Oak Tree during our last VIR outing. Photo credit goes to Jon Felton of Get Fast Photo (GET FAST autosport events & services since 1998) whom I'm purchasing these shots and others from. He might have some more that he can send over to me.

No garage queen this one as we plan to abuse it. I think we've gotten our money's worth out of these tires. They had flat spots to start the day, I did my best to square them off a bit more, and I think Jeff trued them up nice and flat on four sides.

R

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It exhibits a fair amount of body lean while spinning. If you used a larger sway bar the car would look better when you lose control.

Probably spin out faster and sooner then too! :lipsrsealed:

As I often times tell my students - sometimes you just don't know where 10-10ths is for a car until you've seen 11-10ths...

IS he praticing for that Dirt Track event later, Hope I didn't let the Cat out of the bag LOL. And here I thought that was giving 360 or 720 % . On the Dirt tracks if your NOT Spinning your not winning, Got to keep the tires clean somehow. Loks like Fun. I hope to get some track time in sometime.

I couldnt help noticing that his helmet is higher in relation to the roll cage at the conclusion of the spin action.... hot brown pancakes for afternoon tea....:)

I could also point out a few other things as well, but cant be bothered answering all the Detroit PM's:)

Ron,

I may have put a different Spin on the pictures. ;-)

* What known race teem .............
may shooting test shots for up coming commercials .............
( Winchell's, or Duncan franchise ? )

News at 11:00

;-)

Ron Earp

Admin
I couldnt help noticing that his helmet is higher in relation to the roll cage at the conclusion of the spin action.... hot brown pancakes for afternoon tea....:)

Well, it was lower to start with. I wonder what he was doing in there?

sometimes you just don't know where 10-10ths is for a car until you've seen 11-10ths...

True statement and I think we were both guilty of that. I can remember that I never really went fast through T10 at VIR in my Z until I once went too fast through T10 and had an Agricultural Excursion. Then I sort of learned were the sweet spot was and now can zip through there with the best of them.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I was like, driving and stuff.

"and stuff" = making hot brown pancakes! :laugh:

Odd what G forces do to your spine in cases like this..

I'll tell you the story about the in-car video camera I had in a Honda that I was racing. I hit the wall dead sideways at about 60mph.. The camera's view was blocked for just an instant.. By my head passing in front of it.

The camera was mounted where a passenger's head might be had they been in the car..

That was about a dozen years ago and I still get a stiff neck periodically from it...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
True statement and I think we were both guilty of that. I can remember that I never really went fast through T10 at VIR in my Z until I once went too fast through T10 and had an Agricultural Excursion. Then I sort of learned were the sweet spot was and now can zip through there with the best of them.

Like the driver way back in the sixties telling Jackie Stewart how his brakes failed in a fast corner and he somehow managed to get through it. Jackie told him "weel, why would you brake there anyways?"

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
not there, too slow. Now, the last time in that car at turn 10 at 90 mph, yeah, pancakes. Green ones though as in the dollars I would owe Ron for destroying his Lola replica.

Looks like I dropped a right rear in the dirt....wondered why I spun, now I knows....

"and stuff" = making hot brown pancakes! :laugh:

Odd what G forces do to your spine in cases like this..

I'll tell you the story about the in-car video camera I had in a Honda that I was racing. I hit the wall dead sideways at about 60mph.. The camera's view was blocked for just an instant.. By my head passing in front of it.

The camera was mounted where a passenger's head might be had they been in the car..

That was about a dozen years ago and I still get a stiff neck periodically from it...

Ron, is that this year? I know the weather was too cold for me to venture out last week but I hope to get down there mid March. Hard to get temp into tires when it is 35 F out.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, is that this year? I know the weather was too cold for me to venture out last week but I hope to get down there mid March. Hard to get temp into tires when it is 35 F out.

About 1.5 weeks ago, goes with this thread:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/30894-t70-spyder-track-day-outing-2-completed.html

NASA race weekend and test day. It was cold, < 30F to start the day in the first session but we were able to get the tires up to temp with some work. By mid-day it was very nice, around 55F. Come on out!

Oh, one thing that got us was that the test day was run under NASA race rules, meaning, a Hans device (or other SFI approved device) was mandatory. One of the guys with us had a Hans device that Jeff and I borrowed. I've since ordered one and it was just delivered a couple of days ago (definitely hurt the racing budget!). Bottom line is if you do anything with NASA you'll need a H&NR.

R

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Left rear, whoops.

Yes and no on ordered and delivered...that's a slow speed corner where we were testing just hammering the throttle and seeing how the car handled steering input and full throttle.

Back stepped out, but the slip angle wasn't too bad at first -- we'd both saved the car (despite the higher polar moment of the midengine) with the tail out before.

I think this time what doomed the whole enterprise was running out of track on the left and just even touching the dirt meant around I went.

Still working on learning to drive that sucker.......

The 'Spin' had been ordered & delivered long before the Left rear let alone the right rear hit the dirt.... :)

Ron Earp

Admin
Back stepped out, but the slip angle wasn't too bad at first -- we'd both saved the car (despite the higher polar moment of the midengine) with the tail ..

That's be lower polar moment...when most of the mass of the car is located hear the cg it has a low polar moment. When the masses are located far from the cg it has a high polar moment. The cg of that car is located a few inches behind where you're sitting, right about in the firewall area.

Back