Testing fuel line connections

If I wanted to test my fuel line connections for any leaks prior to pouring fuel in it (electrical external holley pump, -10 stainless braided line, 40micron aeromotive filter and 10 micron aeromotive filter, aluminum tank), could i Pour a gallon or two of water into the tank and turn on my pump and check for leaks?

Or would this be a very bad idea? (e.g., water gets left behind in the braided line that can mess me up down the road; pump isn't meant for water, etc....)? Thanks - just a thought that was floating through my head.

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Air at 5 PSIG and soapy water brushed on outside of joints
Water may not find small leaks that petrol could find
The amount of air that will pass through a hole is Approx 19 times that of water ( through the same hole)

Fashion a plug or clamp off the fill, feed, and vent lines, 5 PSIG for 15 minutes. Use a solution of soapy water (make sure the dish soap has no Ammonia - detremental to some fittings) in a spray bottle. Spray the connections liberally. Any leaks should be found by watching for bubbles.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Fashion a plug or clamp off the fill, feed, and vent lines, 5 PSIG for 15 minutes. Use a solution of soapy water (make sure the dish soap has no Ammonia - detremental to some fittings) in a spray bottle. Spray the connections liberally. Any leaks should be found by watching for bubbles.

I like to use these:

AN Hose Test Fittings

Back