Superformance GT40 Photos In South Africa

SA_Trip_Header.jpg

I am starting this thread to try and capture, convey and record the legacy from a recent visit to the Hi-Tech Factory in South Africa. A group of 30 owners made a historic trip to the factory during Feb-March 2010. Below in this thread will no doubt be plenty of information and eye candy for those interested in this very unprecedented, historic visit to the factory by a group of owners of the Superformance line of products. Please join me as we embark on this visual trek to South Africa with our friends at Superformance. Nowhere else will you have this kind of unlimited access to a factory the size of HiTech by such a large group of owners.

03/01/10 - Superformance Owners Association Members visit
the Hi-Tech / Superformance Factory in South Africa...

Superformance Owners Association Members make the very first-ever visit to the Factory!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa, March 1, 2010- In the making for over a decade, a group of 30 Superformance Owners made the overseas trek to the Hi-Tech factory in South Africa where all the Superformance cars are made. Beginning on March 20th and after a week long tour of the winelands of the western cape of South Africa, the tropical coast line of the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans and the mountainous Central Cape area, Jimmy Price and the entire staff of Hi-Tech Automotive in Port Elizabeth warmly opened it's doors for a look inside the Hi-Tech factory with an unprecedented access to all it's secret projects and well known products.

SA_Trip_Satellite_View.jpg
5_Jimmy_Price_and_Lance_Stander.JPG
02glass_molds.JPG
03mold.JPG
01_one_ofmany_machineshops.jpg
03_finshedpart_rawmaterial.jpg
imagefetch.ashx
A_factory_courtyard.JPG
B_factory_courtyard.JPG
C_factory_courtyard.JPG

06gt40.jpg
07gt40.jpg
08gt40.jpg
10gt40.jpg
09gt40.jpg
11gt40.jpg
12gt40.jpg
13gt40.jpg
14gt40.jpg
15gt40.jpg
16gt40.jpg
17gt40.jpg
18gt40.jpg
19gt40.jpg
20gt40.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Im not forum savy but would like to ask for some help from other users as well, I am building a 1/12 scale model of a mk11 gt40 and would like to build in gulf oil scheme and need color photos of chassis suspension and driveline and motor.
Thanks harryscar.

Interesting chassis, it looks like pictures of the prototype chassis I say a few years ago. I'm pretty sure it isn’t what is currently being made for their cars (unless they have changed their design). It does however have the cover for the gas filler tube unlike the really early cars.

It would be great if others that were on the tour would share their pictures.

Attachments

• 08gt40.jpg
    08gt40.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 423
Richard
They are shrouding the gas fill area to stop fumes intruding the cabin area.
It is a bit of a pain when retro fitting fuel cells though.
Cheers
Dennis.

Dennis, it's good to have you chime in. Yes we talked about that shrouding some time ago. I know many of the early cars didn't have it but we're not sure when it was added which you might be able to shed some light on. One of the pictures below is of Lynn Miners car where the shroud is missing the others from the same area is from my car. We talked a little about a retrofit for early cars but you would need an early car that was taken apart in that area to make patterns. Even then it would be tough.

Considering the problems I have putting gas in my car (very slow) I think it would have been better had they made it the way they did back in the day, bigger is always beter (photo fo a real GT40 Road Car).

Anyway the chassis looks like a mix of old and new. The lower area just in front of the engine is like some of the original (1960's) cars but not like any of the SPF production chassis's I've seen pictures of. Like I said it's probubly their prototype unit they keep making improvments on.

Attachments

• P1010059.jpg
    P1010059.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN0822.jpg
    DSCN0822.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg