ID this fuel pump?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Can anyone tell me what make/model this fuel pump is?

fuel pump.jpg

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The bottom look like Stewart-Warners, the top like Carters. How old are they? There are some SPF cars which are fitted with Carters that are kitted out to to look like SWs..I think.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
That's what I think they are- Carters that are modified to look like SWs. Which, given what SWs cost and the pain of rebuilding them, is entirely sensible.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That's what I think they are- Carters that are modified to look like SWs. Which, given what SWs cost and the pain of rebuilding them, is entirely sensible.

They do look like Modified Carters.. The only problem I would see is that unless they modified the pump itself, Carters are vane style pumps which are not as efficient as Gearotor style pumps at Lifting fuel.

Carters usually are mounted level or below the top of the fuel tank.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Randy,

My install uses a Carter in the sponson ( at fuel tank level) drawing through a large Canton filter filling a swirl pot that overflows back to the tanks but, puts a head on 2Carters (like in the pic) on the bulkhead (3 pumps total). I have a SPDT Sw there on the bulkhead (between the pumps) that allows one to run at a time ; the other is for redundancy.

Swirl pot arrangement to insure fuel delivery if tanks low on fuel and running a long downhill sweeper that puts fuel forward in tanks and away from pick up in rear of tanks.

In my opinion the connection as shown in the original post in this thread is wrong (or at least not best unless both pumps are to be run simutaneously). See my pics showing the outlet from the swirl tank running in 2 lines, one to each pump suction allowing for redundant pumps.

Never any problem with over 5,000 miles under all conditions.

Steve P2125 (pics of fuel system and swirl pot delivery in SPF Forum under "Upgrades to P2125"

Steve C

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

.....2Carters (like in the pic) on the bulkhead (3 pumps total). I have a SPDT Sw there on the bulkhead (between the pumps) that allows one to run at a time ; the other is for redundancy.
Steve P2125 (pics of fuel system and swirl pot delivery in SPF Forum under "Upgrades to P2125"

Steve C

I guess the answer to the original queston is implied by "Dual independantly controlled bulkhead mounted fuel delivery pumps with faux covers ... by Olthoff"

BTW the picture in the original post is from the SPF site.

In other words these or ordinary gold Carters, say GP4389, but with a fake bowl stuck on the bottom to hide the wiring (which on a real S&W would go in the side).

Back