SFI De-certifies Impact Racing Products

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Randy, this news is making a big stink down at the race this weekend. I haven't met anyone affected here in the paddock but it is interesting. Thanks for posting it up.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a feeling that this will have far reaching implications..
Frankly I've not bought anything from Bill Simpson since Earnhardt's death...
After this - I bet there's going to be a lot more people on the same side of the fence as I...

Howard Jones

Supporter
If this turns out to be true it will pretty much do in Bill. Too bad really, Bill Simson was one of the first guys to really get serious about safety equipment. The lawers will eat him alive if things can't be worked out in his favor. Sad.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes Bill Simpson was one of the people that really put some teeth into the industry and came up with a lot of very good products that probably saved many lives. Fire Suits some to mind before harnesses.. However - things have slipped steadily since 2000 for him and his companies in my opinion which is why I will not buy from either of them.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
More info::

-AutoWeek Magazine

"TROUBLE AT IMPACT

An organization that tests and certifies the safety qualities of racing equipment will decertify Impact Racing's equipment and end its relationships with its founder, Bill Simpson. The action becomes effective on April 27, giving Impact's customers time to buy equipment from other manufacturers.

SFI has accused Impact of manufacturing substandard equipment then attaching counterfeit conformance labels and patches. To SFI's knowledge, Impact didn't advise customers that its products didn't have legitimate labels and patches. SFI has directed Impact and Simpson to cease and desist from this practice, notify its customers to remove the counterfeit labels, and offer them a full refund.

Impact Racing responded with a statement on its Web site: "Impact strongly disagrees with the statements on SFI's website. This is a dispute over SFI tags. Our products are certified. They are safe, and we stand behind them." "

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/...equipment.html

"MARTINSVILLE, Va. – SFI Foundation Inc., the non-profit organization established to administer safety standards for automotive and racing equipment, announced Friday it was decertifying all products manufactured and/or distributed by Impact Racing.

Many teams in NASCAR utilize safety equipment from Impact, including Kevin Harvick Inc., and drivers Kyle Busch, David Reutimann and Trevor Bayne, among others. IndyCar series and NHRA teams also utilize many of the company’s products.

NASCAR became affiliated with SFI Foundation in 2003 and began using its testing services and quality assurances for safety products used in its three national series – the Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Truck series.

NASCAR issued a statement late Friday that said in part, “This is a matter now in the legal system, which we are monitoring.”

Impact was founded by Bill Simpson, a pioneer in the racing safety business who formerly headed Simpson Performance Products. He left that company after the controversy surrounding the Dale Earnhardt's death in a 2001 crash late in the Daytona 500.

In Friday’s release, SFI Foundation said all Impact products would be decertified as of April 27.

“Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports,” the statement said.

Officials at Impact’s headquarters in Brownsburg, Ind., did not immediately respond to a request for comment. "

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If memerory serves me right, several years ago, he was busted for using illegal immigrants. I think that is what happened to the original Simpsin deal. He then regrouped and came back with the Impact name. Don't take this as gospel, but I am pretty sure that is correct. It was some time ago.
Regards Brian

Back