Barn find?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Not an FAV car, look at the area where the rear lower trailing arm enters the tub. I have never seen an FAV/Abbey/Tenant chassis with a riveted on finish to the opening.

Pedro

Supporter
Looks like an aluminum chassis MKV (Safir) I believe they made one or two aluminum chassis, hope it is back together now, that is a very nice car.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think Pedro's right. Any idea which one this is? I can't tell how long ago this happened, and all the rest of the stuff seems to be parts list and prices for them in DMs, which they haven't used for a while- they are on Euros now- so how old would this be?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
If you go to the bottom of the page and jump ahead a few pages there are some gt40 parts pages, what looks like a gt40 history and several race reports with
Jean Blaton 'Beurlys' and P1041 outlined.

Now I am fairly sure this is not P1041, can any of our German speaking friends let us know what this is all about?

The certificate is dated 1998
It says that it is 1966 car. After a crash in 1970 the steelchassis was replaced by an aluminium chassis from abbey panel, supposedly No 004 ( thats written there, so the more knowledgable will know if this can be true or not)

it has had a drysumped 289 with 406 KW (525 HP) with 48 IDA´s;
ZF DS 25/2 serialnumber 12078.

According the history in the certificate the car was delivered 02.09.1966 in belgium
sold in 67 to another belgic. sold in 74 to a dutch, sold in 96 to a german lady

Rac history
<TABLE width="75%"><TBODY><TR><TD>year</TD><TD>track</TD><TD>Date</TD><TD>driver</TD><TD>Place</TD></TR><TR><TD>1966</TD><TD>Zolder</TD><TD>11.09.1966</TD><TD>Blaton </TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR><TD>1966</TD><TD>Montlhery</TD><TD>16.10.1966</TD><TD>Blaton</TD><TD>ausgefallen</TD></TR><TR><TD>1967</TD><TD>Zolder</TD><TD>09.04.1967</TD><TD>Dauwe</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR><TD>1967</TD><TD>Zolder</TD><TD>23.04.1967</TD><TD>Dauwe</TD><TD>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> according to this result documents it is supposedly #1041
rennhistorie1.gif

Body is carbon kevlar mix.

Market value in 1998 700 - 800 marks ( it hink at that time someting around 1,3 Mio USD.

That´s the main bulletpoints from the certificate

TOM

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I thought this sounded familiar; parts of this history are mentioned in the SAAC registry, but there is no final confirmation as to whether this is actually 1041. There is another car constructed on a Tennant chassis (not, I believe, an aluminum one- is there such a thing at all as an aluminum Tennant chassis?) which is "sometimes referred to as 1041"- I suspect that car is not 1041. Why it is called that I don't know.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
In the photo of the front with the clip on you can see a large rubber plug covering one of the two round holes on the tub, Safir (Mk Vs) used these and they even had "GT40" moulded on them. Also the front uprights look like Safir style units, they do not have the round boss that the tie rod ends go into like an FAV upright.

And the brakes are AP Racing sytle like safir used.

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Supporter
It seems that silver paint and the number 48 is not a good combination for a GT!

Attachments

• BOX%2004-06%20PIC%20OVERTURNED%20AND%20PINNED%2017338%20DR%20BIRD%20RD%203-6-10%20013.jpg
    BOX%2004-06%20PIC%20OVERTURNED%20AND%20PINNED%2017338%20DR%20BIRD%20RD%203-6-10%20013.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,990

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sad to look at that original all busted up like that...

The GT as well.. :(

I would also be a bit suspicious of an older,streetable 289 with a 525 hp rating claim. Not that it can't be done nowadays, but.....

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Doesn't take any insider info.

It is a matter of public record on this site that the 'long lost' genuine 1041 is resident in Alice Springs. See this thread here http://www.gt40s.com/forum/original-gt40s/13149-wanted-1966-alan-mann-gt40-racecar-photos.html

Further to the information in the link, I believe Ron's car is now repaired and up and running. He visits this site quite a bit and as recently as yesterday, but only posts occasionally these days, and nothing in over a year.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Someone was looking for an Exploded view of a GT40, if you go to the first post on this thread there is one. I'm not sure if it's what you want.

Back